How to change shifter cable

HardDrive

Cadet
I've got a 96 Ranger with a hotfoot, and 97 Evinrude 150. The shifting has stopped working, I'm assuming the cable is broken.
I started taking the shifting lever\handle apart and am stuck on the disassembly and having problems finding a exploded parts diagram to give me come clue as to what I'm missing.

I have found 3 screws to remove by rotating the lever forward and back, removed those but cannot get the handle to come off.

Any ideas accepted.

Thanks
Brian

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: How to change shifter cable

Undo the gear linkage on the motor and see if that moves when you move the remote lever into forward neutral and reverse

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Try shifting/turning the shift lever which comes out from below the bottom carb by hand to see if that changes gear

boobie

Supreme Mariner

What Bosun is saying is you may have a prob on the mtr, not in the control box. Follow his advice and get back to us.

HardDrive

Cadet

Yeah I got the bottom cover of the engine off, and the cable loose. I can push and pull on the shifter and it goes into forward and reverse. I can push the cable forward and backwards but the handle does not move. I know there is a button on the bottom of the handle that you can push and then give a little throtle for starting, that seems to work but my throttle cable is attached to a hot foot.

I can't figure out how to remove the handle so I can get the box out and see if the cable is broken or just popped off or etc...

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Could you post a pic of the control ??

HardDrive

Cadet

I can manually shift the engine and get forward and reverse.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Go to shop.evinrude.com and look under OB Accesories. Then look up concealed side mount control and you'll find a parts break down. Look for screw # 57. You loosen that and the handle will come off and you can then get the control out of the boat after loosening the rest of the screws.

HardDrive

Cadet

I cant find it on their page. I've searched for parts breakdown and nothing

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Then try http:// shop.evinrude.com. and see what comes up. When you see parts, just click on that. I was just there. Also try shop2.evinrude.com. You have to look through the page that comes up.

HardDrive

Cadet

Figured it out. with the shifter all the way back into reverse, a slot lined up. There was a hex set screw you could just barly see, pulled it and the shifter handle came right off.
And the good news, the shifter cable was broke, but the throttle cable was left loose in the back behind the oil tank. Cables are identical, so I have to just move the throttle cable to the shifter side. The hotfoot had it's own cable with it.
Thanks for the input guys.