JOHNSON 200 HP VENOM FUEL PROBLEMS...already cleaned carbs!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingranch

Recruit
1998 johnson 200 venom two stroke.
the vro was disabled when i bought it and its been premixed.
Was running great and then started acting up no power/lurching etc so i figured carbs...
cleaned carbs and installed new needle and seats (oem) as the carbs/jets were relatively clean but the seats had a significant amount of black sludge on the rim that definitely would impede the needle/gas flow thru them.
Install them and it still wont run right without pushing choke. It starts right up, Choke it and it jumps up and screams..
The funny thing is that it will rev great at the ramp in neutral but the second u put it in gear and it has load it is boggy and no go until u hit choke.
I am thinking of getting a new ball and maybe there is a universal fuel pump out there that will work as a non vro pump since i am premixing. Any ideas?.. bad/clogged fuel pump...? I already put new plugs and fuel filter.
and FYI i consider myself pretty good when it comes to rebuilding the carbs, I have done it tons of times on different machines and know what im doing.
thanks!!

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: JOHNSON 200 HP VENOM FUEL PROBLEMS...already cleaned carbs!!

Tried pumping the bulb to see if that helps? Checked for any leaks around connectors fuel lines when pumping?
Good that you cleaned the carbs, mine needed a bit of electrical wire to get out some gunk in a small idle circuit, found that on my third clean

airman1094

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have you checked inside the fuel pump? Could have some gunk on that screen!

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer

When you cleaned the carbs did you also clean the passageways in the throttle bodies?

I've seen a non-VRO pump that is actually two stock Non-VRO pumps from an earlier model year put together. Two pumps are needed to meet the fuel demands of the big bore loopers. It wasn't cheap, but still less than a new VRO. Never used it myself.

The pump was sold by Pro Marine P/N 8402-2. If it's still available, I think you have to purchase through one of their dealers. That's all I could find on it.

If you have mechanical skills , you can probably buy the two pumps and put them together yourself. You would need to research "duel pulse fuel pump"

kingranch

Recruit

I was thinking of replacing the bulb and hose and vro pump.

Why would it rev up fine at the ramp, but fail to rev when in gear if it were the pump???

kingranch

Recruit

So I am going to bite the bullet and order a new vro
will update after i get it in

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer

You can check the fuel pump pressure before you spend all that money on the new pump. I'm not convinced it's the pump yet.

If you do order the pump and plan on running premix Evinrude makes a pump that looks like the vro pump but without the VRO feature. It might save you some money.

kingranch

Recruit

You can check the fuel pump pressure before you spend all that money on the new pump. I'm not convinced it's the pump yet.

If you do order the pump and plan on running premix Evinrude makes a pump that looks like the vro pump but without the VRO feature. It might save you some money.

would you happen to know the part number for that? I am not planning on using the vro, just premixing

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer

I don't know that part number, but if you start a new thread asking that question someone who has purchased one will probably answer your question.

Okiecobra201

Recruit
Did you ever figure out the fuel problem I have the same motor still a 4 stroke but is doing the same thing runs great in neutral put it in gear and try to get on it and falls flat on its face

daselbee

Commander
Okie....this thread is old old old. Start an new one with your problem.
And...this is not the same as yours.....this thread addresses a two stroke...not a 4 stroke.

raghead

Recruit
I have a 1996 200hp johnson venom when I get up to around 5700 it runs out of gas starts starving for fuel. If I'm by myself not much problems put 3 people in the boat I'll run out of gas in my carbs before I can get on top of water. I can pump it up put everyone in the front and make it out of hole as long as I don't try to get over 5500 it runs good. Coming out of hole it falls fat on its face with a load. Can any one help thanks.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Just start a new thread.----Easy to do.----Find it at top of the---- " home page" -----orange rectangle.

Status
Not open for further replies.