evinrude 18hp fastwin cooling system troubleshooting help

seth3678pb

Recruit
i have a evinrude 18hp fastwin and i just recently replaced the damaged impeller and it still does not pump water out the back of the water i flushed out the system by spraying up the hose connecting pump to motor and it comes out of the hole it is suppose to so i need some help figuring out what i should do thank you god bless.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: evinrude 18hp fastwin cooling system troubleshooting help

Either something is wrong with your replacement job, or the motor is not deep enough in the water. Possibly a hunk of impeller lodged in the system, but you said you were able to flush water through it.

kbait

Commander

+1 on the water level. You must have the impeller submerged upon starting, as the pump isn't self priming. Did you get the pin that drives the impeller installed? Sure you lined-up the water tube where it enters the pump housing?

Good luck, and welcome to iboats!

kfa4303

Banned

+1. You have to run the motor in a tank, rather than on muffs and it must be submerged up to approximately 1-2" below the main exhaust port on the back of the engine. It's also fairly common for the copper water uptake tube to become improperly seated in either the top of the the water pump housing and/or the underside of the motor. The good news is that the passages are clear, so the rest is just a matter of getting everything lined up properly. No real secret to it, just trial and error. Here are some vids of similar motors running a test tank so you'll have an idea what to expect.

1958 Johnson 18 HP outboard - Running - YouTube
1957 Johnson 10hp Outboard Motor - YouTube

seth3678pb

Recruit

alright thing was water level slipped my mind and thanks and yeah not my first impeller replacement and everything was done correct but now having backfire issues and not able to low idle i think main thing is plugs and lean bottem end

kfa4303

Banned

Sounds like you may be having a "lean sneeze". Here's a great link for helping you dial in the carb dialed in. Make sure the motor isn't sucking in exhaust gases while in the test tank and that the carb is nice and clean. Also, make you're using Champion J6C plugs. Other brands don't work as well.

http://forums.iboats.com/engine-fre...sorted-carb-variations-joe-reeves-167352.html