73 Johnson 9.5 exhaust boot

dmb

Cadet
Good morning all. Got a 73 Johnson 9.5 last fall. Got it running yesterday but noticed that I was getting exhaust coming up from the exhaust leg. I can see light all around the rubber exhaust housing seal. It appears that the previous owner was monkeying around and may not have put the seal back where it belongs.

Does anyone have instructions to remove the outer shell for this motor? I have been looking in a few of the generic manuals and can't find the step by step instructions for this.

Thanks.
Dan

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 73 Johnson 9.5 exhaust boot

Those 9.5's are one of the toughest outboards to work on. Espeacially when you have to take them apart to that extent. Pretty much everything needs to come off. (Start with the lower unit). The Clymer/Seloc manuals are vague, but still do-able. You can do it without a manual (as I have) but you should make notes and take pictures as you go. If you can find the Service manual for the 9.5, you'll save hours of frustration. WWW.outboardbooks has them. That exhaust boot is a bit pricey but you'll need one. I wish you good luck and keep posting your progress (the motor is well worth it)

dmb

Cadet

Got one side of the outer shell off. The boot appears to be warped, which is odd for a rubber gasket. I will work some more this week on it may have to pull it completly off and see exaclty whats going on with it.

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer

The main thing with that motor is take your time, Pay extra attention to the shift linkage & steering swivel areas. and yes lots of photos & videos. I have helped a couple of these old turtles that had the rubber exhaust problems, I used a car mat & pop rivets and attached extra rubber to the old deformed gasket not at all 100% but it did help. I have also drilled holes above the carb and put a metal scupper cover over the holes so air flows but water does not get to the carb, not to worried about looks as they are the ugliest outboard ever built! but I love them :)

dmb

Cadet

Well I swapped out the power head, straighten out the boot, put a new exhaust manifold gasket in and set the timing with the worn out points. Need to get a new set this week. Ran it in a barrel, still getting some exhaust up through the leg, but not enough to stall it with the cowling on. It really wasn't that bad re-assembling it, best part is I don't have any spare parts left on the work bench.

Walleye opens here today, think I may take her out and drag some lures up and down the river!

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have the same motor and can honestly say, know little to nothing about it because I've never had a problem with it. But I can't imagine what this part is we're talking about. It's not the pee-whole.. is it? That's the only rubber thing I can see externally.

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer

no its not the pee / blubber hole down inside the lower leg is a big oval shaped rubber shield type gasket it is there as to separate the upper lower leg from the lower lower leg. as exhaust comes out in the lower leg this big fat oval gasket keeps the exhaust from rising upward into the power head starving the carburetor for air. as the gaskets get old they droop and no longer seal the inside an so in this worn. old, droopy condition your engine will have little air for the carburetor but plenty of exhaust instead .

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You could not run those motors in a barrel with the hood on, even when brand new. That seal y'all are talking about just doesn't do that good a job. Besides, there are other seals that will smother it with the hood on. The seals on top of the water pump housing will do it, big time. So will the bellows seal on the upper shift rod.

dmb

Cadet

Will take a look at the bellow seal for the shift rod, that might be the answer! Thanks.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander

i have two of those 9.5 a 68 evinrude and a 71 johnson both dont run in a barrel. and the johnson does not run with the top on. thats the only issue i have with them. i call them pumpkin heads but i do love them.