1961 Johnson 40 outboard

1930 AA

Cadet
Help
There is a small hole on the right side of my lower unit located between the top oil fill plug and the low fill plug.
After running the engine and shutting it off a milky oily watery drainage could be seen coming from that hole.
Doesn't seem right. Any thoughts?
Thanks

cr2k

Captain
Re: 1961 Johnson 40 outboard

If it is milky it could also be a bad seal on either your shift shaft or vertical drive shaft (under your water pump).
This hole is there to drain the water from your exhaust cavity.

1930 AA

Cadet

Appreciate the information.
I'll drain the gear case and check the oil status. If the seal is leaking maybe I can get by with topping off the oil prior to using it each time. Thoughts?

kfa4303

Banned

Hello again 1930 AA. If you open the DRAIN/VENT screw and the gear oil comes out milky, then you know you have water intrusion into the gear case. Thankfully, you can reseal it fairly easily. A reseal kit is only about $25. There are several how-to threads here in the forums that can walk you ythrough the the job. That being said, it's a 50+ year old motor and sometimes they just never seal up as tight as they used to in which case you may need to check/top off the oil every few trips.

1930 AA

Cadet

Thanks
I've already begun reading various threads trying to get a handle on what needs to happen next.
From what I can surmise it sounds like I need to approach this like I was replacing the water pump and replace the seals while replacing the pump assembly.
Does that seem logical

lindy46

Captain

Both jobs require that you drop the lower unit, so, yes if it needs seals, the time to do it is when you change the impeller.