1976 Evinrude 55hp Timing needs to be advanced a lot to get the motor to idle

TLewis

Cadet
Hi Experts-
I have a 1976 Evinrude 55hp that I completely rebuilt. I'm having a problem getting it idle correctly. It seems like the timing has to be advanced almost all the way before it even tries to idle. I've tried readjusting the low speed idle screws in the carbs, 1 and 1/8 turns, and working them out etc but still does not want to idle. Is it possible that one of the cycliders is not firing and I'm masking this by advancing the timing?

After warming up the engine at a higher RPM, I disconnected the throttle linkage rod and put the throttle in the idle position (closed). Then I manually advanced the timing to where it wanted to idle. I found the position where it wants to idle but the timing is abnormally advanced, like to the position it would be in if the warm up lever was pulled up.

Can this be masking a bad coil or power pack? I have a timing light. Can I connect the light to each coil and tell if the coils and power pack are firing correctly? If the engine had a timing belt I'd bet it was off a tooth...

Any suggestions?
Thanks