1981 140 evinrude throttle/shift cable adjusting?

jason callahan

Recruit
can anyone help me on how to properly adjust my throttle/shift cables the control box has the nuetral throttle lever on the top it seems like there is a lot of play in both cables im having trouble getting it to rev all the way and engaging fully into reverse and after trying to adjust the cable its upset everything i no longer have nuetral throttle control and its throttling befor the shift cable even come close to engaging in reverse i have to manualy push the cable under the engine cover to get it to fully engage basically ive made it worse can it be adjusted or should i get new cables

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1981 140 evinrude throttle/shift cable adjusting?

Disconnect both cables at the engine end. (inside the cowling) Manually move the shift lever (by hand) at the engine end- through it's normal range (FNR,) then adjust the shifter cable end to match that exact range of movement. There is a thumbwheel which will permit you to adjust the shifter cable end somewhat. Once you get the two so that they appear to move through the same/correct range, re-secure the cable end with the nut. They do the same thing for the throttle cable.