first start of my 78 150 hp evinrude questions on getting ready

brianis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
so I just got my 78 ssv-188 with a 150hp evinrude outboard so what is the best tech. to start for the first time for the season I put muffs on it and gas and all that good stuff I have worked with a 73 50hp but it wasn't so stubborn. I didn't change the plugs yet but I did get it to run so does anyone have any hints on starting I know every motor is different but and also I was reading the starting procedure on the engine under cover it states that on the warm idle lever there is a start setting so once I start it on there do I need to leave it there under warm or idle up then once ready to go to the notch below the start setting

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: first start of my 78 150 hp evinrude questions on getting ready

That engine has an ususual choke system. Only 2 of the 3 carbs have choke plates. You'll raise the warm up lever slightly- which will open the carb butterflys slightly and advance the timing a few degrees. Pump up the primer ball on the fuel hose. Crank it and push in on the key to activate the choke. Once it starts, you will have to keep occasionally push in on the key switch every few seconds to continue to choke it till it warms up. After a few starts, you will get the hang of it. Since only 2 of the 3 carbs choke, expect it to sputter a little till it warms up (usually in a minute of so.) It is a cold-blooded engine. You don't need to idle it over 1400-1500 rpms during warm up.

brianis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: first start of my 78 150 hp evinrude questions on getting ready

ok thanks for the info