1961 Evinrude Lark III - Won't start (Fuel flow problem?)

Fortney

Cadet
I recently obtained a 1966 Sea Swirl boat with a 1961 Evinrude Lark III (Model 35524) mounted to it. The boat sat untouched in the guy's driveway for 3 years and he said everything ran fine before he retired it. It came without a fuel tank which I purchased yesterday. Unfortunately, it is not starting, I went through the basic checks - spark, compression, etc. and it will run with starting fluid sprayed into the carb, however, it does not seem to have any flow/suction from the tank to the carb. It appears to have a fuel pump that the lines circulate through, but covering the hoses with my finger, I cannot feel any suction at all - shouldn't there be noticeable suction? Or am I supposed to prime the fuel all the way to the pump? Please excuse my ignorance, I'd love to know what I should be looking for here.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1961 Evinrude Lark III - Won't start (Fuel flow problem?)

You have to prime the carb bowl....that is what the "ball" is for in the fuel line. Pump it until firm. That is when the bowl is full and the needle seats.

Fortney

Cadet

Thanks, right after I posted this thread, I went back out and looked over the lines and carb again, this time I opened up what I initially thought was a fuel pump (Now I think it's just some sort of regulator/filter) and it had a bowl that the fuel from the intake line went into and it was full of gunk, I immediately cleaned it and the lines out. Afterwards, I primed the hose and turned over the key and it fired right up. because there was so much gunk present, I plan on cleaning the carb, do you know where can I get a rebuild kit or at least the gaskets? Also, there was another issue - when I turned the key to the off position, the motor kept running, finally I primed the hose while it ran to stall it. What could be the cause/remedy for this? I'm not sure if I should start a new thread for this new issue. Thank you in advance.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Stick with your same thread as it gets less confusing. You can get a carb rebuild kit right here on I-Boats. Check all your wiring going to the ign switch. You may have a broken one in the stop circuit or a bad ign switch.

lindy46

Captain

Should be two wires connected to the "M" terminals on the ignition switch. They ground out the points when the switch is turned to "Off". Make sure you have continuity back to the points on those two wires. and make sure the ignition switch has continuity between the "M" terminals when in the "off" position.