83 40hp Johnson Workhorse w/ jet pump and prop $800...screwed or not?

slyshar3

Cadet
I couldn't hear it run, still too cold out, and no compression tester. I had to make a quick decision, so I bought it. It also came with a really cool motor stand. I plan to put it on my 16' Lowe semi V if it runs. I'll try to get the thing running this weekend. Any comments or suggestions for tune up? Hasn't run since last year (I'm told). Sometimes you just have to work on faith! It has been years since I posted and I really love this forum. The last time, I still worked in a sawmill in Oregon. Now I teach in Alaska.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 83 40hp Johnson Workhorse w/ jet pump and prop $800...screwed or not?

That would be a good price for an outboard that you had demonstrated on the water, slyshar. No demo, no hearing it run under load, no compression figures each introduce risk and should have reduced the price.

Too late. You accepted the risk.

Good luck :)

slyshar3

Cadet
Re: 83 40hp Johnson Workhorse w/ jet pump and prop $800...screwed or not?

Still too cold to try and start it, or I would see how risky it was! It's killin' me! In Alaska, we sometimes have to do stuff like this! This guy was having to move (military) and had to leave quickly. Another guy was there and wanted it as well. I have bought a generator, a fifth wheel, and a truck here sight unseen because we lived in the bush. I haven't been burned yet. People seem to be more honest here in Ak. I wouldn't have even thought about doing this in Oregon. I figured that if it is shot, I can sell the jet pump for quite a bit, and 3 out of four ain't bad.