1964 Evinrude Starflite 75 HP Selectric

Recruit
Was looking for some assistance with my motor. I'm looking to wire my 1964 motor to a 72-74 shifter box which is already installed on the boat. Shifter didn't come with the motor I just recently purchased (1964). Was wondering if anybody out there had a diagram of the wiring box of the 1964 model to view, to possibly trace and match the wires off that of the 72-74 Selectric shifter box. If are any tips, hints pointers I'm certainly open for any but mostly the helpful ones haha. Any input on this would be highly appreciated, can't wait to hit the waters.

Boat safe:joyous:, Fish hard!:D

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1964 Evinrude Starflite 75 HP Selectric

Although they look alike, the Hydro-Electric shift switch will not work in the Electric Shift motors. In fact, attempting to use it may result in serious and expensive damage. Best you obtain the correct switch.
Just for your information, your motor has a green and a blue wires for shifting. Applying battery voltage to the green wire makes it go into forward gear, and voltage to the blue one is reverse. The Hydro-Electric switch applies voltage to green for neutral and BOTH green and blue for reverse. Applying voltage to both wires on your motor will result in going both gears at the same time, instantly locking it up and probably breaking something.

Recruit
Re: 1964 Evinrude Starflite 75 HP Selectric

Thank you F_R for the information this definitely saved my motor. Would you happen to know where to get a hold of the shift box for this model or a model that would be safe for my motor. Having trouble locating one.

Don't know if these would help I can't seem to find a website with anything later in years than 1968 I believe...it's been awhile since I have searched, since this was going to be my new master plan. Thanks again!

Model # 75493 D

Serial # E 01239