overheat sensors johnson 150

phoenixgold2100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am getting constant alarm when key is turned on I have checked voltage on the over heat wire and I am getting 11 volts from it and when i hook up a test light to it Purple and tan the test light comes on so i have a ground in the tan wire I guess my question here is is there anyway to check to see if the sensors are grounded and how would i get them reset. the engine didn't over heat knowledge. I unplugged port side and the tan wire doesn't have ground anymore is the sensor bad?

Another question would jumping the purple wire to the s wire on a tach make the needle spike?

71Windsor

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: overheat sensors johnson 150

Unplug the sensors one at a time until your alarm goes off. If you disconnected all of them and its still ringing your ground out on the wire some where. Is this a new engine for you? Or have you run it before with out the alarm issues? What year is your engine? Is it a vro engine? Has the vro been removed? Correctly? There should be connections along the tan wire before each sensor for quick disconnects. Pending my question about if this engine is new to you and vro, if this engine ran fine last year for you and the vro is gone a d wiring involved as well. I'd start tracing the tan wire and unplugging sensors.

phoenixgold2100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: overheat sensors johnson 150

the engine is a 1999 johnson 150 vro disconnected. this engine has had a 95 wiring harness installed. I just got the boat and it came with none of the gauges working. I disconnected the engine sensors and the port side sensor seems to be causing the gound. is the sensor bad? the fuel gauge will read only when i pull the sender and move it by hand. is the sender bad? The trim gauge does not work as well as the tach. would putting the S post to power make the needle spike on these? when i touch the two fuel sender posts the fuel gauge spikes. As for the the vro being disconnected the right way one can only hope. I have no Idea what to look for or how to tell.