Ultraflex Steering to an Evinrude 40hp Lark..?

BC Derek

Cadet
Hello..

I want to replace the old cable steering on my runabout with a set of Ultraflex PN M66X13 that I have taken off a same model donor boat.
However the 40 year old 40hp Evinrude has no method of attaching the end of the cable rod to the engine itself so it can swivel and steer
Has anyone got a good idea so I can make a fitting to bolt to the transom and then to the engine..? As the Evinrude needs to tilt when out of the water the fitting will have to move with the engine somehow when it is tilted.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Derek Alltree

Willyclay

Captain
Re: Ultraflex Steering to an Evinrude 40hp Lark..?

The link below will get you a page at the iboats store where they offer Teleflex-brand components that will accomplish what you are trying to do. BTDT with a 1959 Johnson 35. Since your motor does not have a tilt tube for mounting the steering cable, you have to provide the equivalent features with a support tube and a transom clamp OR splashwell mount that includes an all-thread adjustable support tube. Once you have that issue decided, you must have a clevis kit for connecting the telescopic ram end of the steering cable to the motor's tiller arm. Unfortunately, your model motor does not have an integral tiller arm so a bracket must be fastened to the "carrying handle" to provide that connection point. Several years ago when I checked with Teleflex customer service, they still had connection kits available. Have no idea about their current availability. I will dig around in my workshop and try to post that part number later. Uflex may offer they same items but I did not see them at the iboats store. It can be done. Good luck!

EDIT: Teleflex Steering Connection Kit, p/n SA27198/27199 for J&E 40HP and below. I have all the Teleflex installation instructions I used for my project saved as pdf files. They will not attach here due to the forum restrictions. However, if you are interested in seeing diagrams, specs and instructions before spending any money; send me your email address in a PM and I will reply with the files attached.

Teleflex Steering Replacement Parts - iboats

Last edited: