Inline fuse on battery cable

Dave Brick

Seaman
Motor is 1992 60 ELENE

I just uncovered the boat after a long winter up north. Charged the battery, and it won't turn over the starter in the least. Not a peep.

THere are 2 positive wires from the battery, one for starter, one for lights, bilge pump, etc. Both positive wires have an in-line fuse, 30A for starter, 20A for lights. While trying early trouble shooting, I checked these fuses, and the starter fuse container was full of rust and kind of messy. The fuse is intact, but rusty on the ends. I tried to clean it up, but its hard to reach way into the fuse holder.

Anyway, I have no battery tester, but I know the battery is charged enough to run the bilge and aerator pumps, it just wont turn the starter at all.

I cant remember seeing these fuses on other boats. Are they important? Should I try to jump the starter directly from the battery (plugs out?) to rule out starter pathology? I'm hoping, of course, for a quick, easy fix.

Happy Easter, and thanks.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Inline fuse on battery cable

There is no starter fuse. The only connection between the battery and engine are the large red and black battery cables. There is a fuse under the engine cover that if blown will prevent the engine from cranking. And just so you know, the starter draws far more current than the bilge pump or lights so it may have enough oomph to run those but not the starter. But yes, you can jump the solenoid to see what happens.

Dave Brick

Seaman

Thank you.

There really is a fuse on each red wire, though. I removed them both, and held them in my hand, and cleaned rust off. It may have been something added aftermarket by the previous owner.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would permanently remove the fuse in the starter lead. It isn't necessary, is probably too small, and will likely continue to cause trouble.

Dave Brick

Seaman

Thanks. I think that is what I will do. I won't get to it until next weekend, so if anyone has additional feedback, I'll continue to chack back. I appreciate the help from everybody. I have had the boat for several years, and never had this kind of problem before.