1994 15hp johnson coil or powerpack bad?? model j15rere

mike gra

Cadet
Hi,
I have a 1994 15hp johnson (model j15rere) rope start outboard. When the engine is cold it starts right up and no problems. If I run the engine down the river and try to restart it and won't start for around 15 minutes after the engine being hot and under load. I'm wondering if it could be the coil or powerpack causing this and how can I tell which one it is. Carb has been rebuilt ,fuel pump,fuel line and bulb,sparkplugs have been replaced and motor not overheating. Plugs getting good blue spark when I tested at home. Any thoughts?
thanks
:confused:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1994 15hp johnson coil or powerpack bad?? model j15rere

Check your spark when it quits with an open air gap spark tester set at 7/16 " open air gap. If no spark just as a wild guess I'd have to say the pack without doing any proper testing.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I'm guessing power pack since it feeds both coils, rather than both coils going bad at the same time.

check that they are attached tight since that's how they ground; heat may move things. But coils are known to go bad under heat as they age.

mike gra

Cadet

Thanks for the replies. I have a question. Would a power pack only work or not work being the electronic brain? I know coils can break down after a load being put on it but do powerpacks do the same thing?
thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Power packs have a habit of failing when they get warm.

mike gra

Cadet

Thanks for everyones help. I ordered a powerpack. Hopefully it takes care of the problem

mike gra

Cadet

I tried the powerpack and it isn't the problem so I'm thinking it may be the coil. The coil is 1 unit so I don't know if there is 2 coils in the unit or just 1 powering both. There are 2 orange wires coming from the powerpack to the coil.I also noticed it is skipping when the motor heats up. Any thoughts?
thanks

PRBR637

Recruit

Don't now if you replaced the coil or not.

But I have a 25hp Johnson. I assume same year as mine is a J25RERC.

I had similar issue. My deal was the coil got hot and separated after running. Once cool, they fire right back up and again, but then they would again heat, separate and die.
I replaced the powerpack and coils and BAM! I was back in business.

Coil would not be a bad move.

Of course, if your motor is like mine, something else will mess up in about 6 months that will stump you again. Hahaha