Johnson 120 OB cold start and WOT issues

totorunner

Cadet
Hey all,

I just bought a 1988 Seaswirl Tempo with a Johnson 120 OB on it. The boat runs great....after it miraculously decides to work as advertised. Vague you might say, here are the details.

If I have not run the boat in more than a day the cold start is a bear. I can get it to fire after several tries using free-rev. It will stay running above 2k rpms. When I push in the choke on the ignition the rpms will down until I let go or it stalls. After about 10 minutes of it revving I can slowly start to bring it down to idle. It will then start to chug at 1000 rpm or stall out. I have found the only way to keep it running at idle or in gear is to bring the rpm up to at least 1500. This is not cool when trying to get off the dock and through a no-wake zone! Once I begin to advance the throttle to get on plane it will NOT go above 2800-3000 rpm. By the time I get to this point the engine has to be well warmed up by now. If I bring it back down to idle it will chug at around 500 rpm and eventually stall.

I can free-rev the thing all day to over 5000 rpm with no problems. I don't like doing this because it doesn't seem good for any motor.

So from there if I turn the motor off and just sit there for a few minutes it will startup, idle and come up on plane and run great. It does this every time I have used the boat so far. I took her out yesterday and after 30 minutes of idle and low rpm WOT it just randomly fixed itself. I cruised around and parked it at the sandbar for a few hours. She started right up fine and planed out normally.

The only thing I have done to remedy this problem is add 2 cans of seafoam to the fuel. I just got the boat so I was hoping it was just some water drops in the fuel or something. Obviously not the issue.

I plan to take a look at the carbs,wiring, link and sync for binding, and thermo's to make sure everything is kosher there. The only other issue with this boat and I'm not sure if it could be related is that it takes forever to take on fuel. Like there is a vent plugged somewhere...not sure where that is. Also, once it does start idling/running normally it will only get to 4500 rpms and 35mph. I guessing this could be just a prop mismatch though.

Any help,ideas or experience with this issue would be greatly appreciated!

totorunner

Cadet
Re: Johnson 120 OB cold start and WOT issues

Any ideas or where to start?

I took a quick look today at all the connections. Everything seems good. No binding on any of the throttle cables either. Primer bulb pumps up hard after a few squeezes.