Water in a cylinder of my 1993 johnson 225 hp

Captain305

Recruit
I own a 1983 Wellcraft 248 Sportsman Walkaround with a single 1993 Johnson 225 Hp (total hours unknown). I bought this boat a couple of years ago and have used it with relatively no problem. I am naturally a mechanic but obviously us mechanics don't know everything about all the different machines we come in contact with... therefore I like reading forums. I remember reading that with these engines its best to have two temperature gauges (one for each engine head) so that if there is any problem the temperature gauges will point you in the right direction.

One Saturday morning we packed the boat with all our fishing gear and as we are getting out of the Dinner Key channel in Coconut Grove Florida the first sign of trouble was noticed. As I accelerated to get underway the engine would not rev past 3000 rpms. It sounded fine and idled fine but it would not accelerate. Took the cowling off to look around and saw nothing abnormal. I glanced back at the dashboard and noticed the temperature gauges had about a 40 degree difference. My first thoughts were maybe one of my ignition coils is not firing or maybe a carburetor is bad. After touching and feeling around, the temperature gauges finally equalized, I then accelerated again and it took off like nothing ever happened :) (fishing day succesful)

I thought that maybe that was a onetime incident but not at all true. The next time I took the boat out the same thing happened but this time I did not push-it and decided to call it a day immediately. On my way home I stopped and picked up some new spark plugs figuring this would be the first attempt to resolving my engine trouble. Got home and started my formal inspection of the engine and as soon as I removed the first spark plug (top left spark plug) the cylinder was FULL OF WATER :confused::confused::confused: my stomach turned.

Now that the problem was found I decided there was no other option but to remove the engine heads. I removed both heads and of course about 14 bolts were seized and broke (what a freaking nightmare). I also found a massive amount of corrosion (see pics). There was clearly a black spot on the cylinder with water which proves the corrosion got so bad that water was allowed to pass into the cylinder. Now........ I know you all are thinking that this engine should be dumped but no-cant-do this engine must be saved or else no more boating for me. Nooooooo money for a replacement engine.

Attachments

• DSC01948.jpg
    DSC01948.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01946.jpg
    DSC01946.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 0
  • imagejpeg_2_50.jpg
    imagejpeg_2_50.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 0
  • imagejpeg_2_48.jpg
    imagejpeg_2_48.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 0
  • imagejpeg_2_49.jpg
    imagejpeg_2_49.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 0

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water in a cylinder of my 1993 johnson 225 hp

You might want to clean up all the surfaces and replace the head gaskets and see what happens. After you replace the gaskets, check the compression.