Rebuild Cable Pully System on '73 40 Horse Evinrude

ryawrigh

Cadet
I have a 14 ft Areocraft with a 1973 - 40 Horse Evinrude that has a aluminum bar bolted as a tiller steer where the pully steering attaches. Does anyone know of a web site or any good source of information for rebuilding a cable pully steering system from scratch or any advice at all about building steering for this? I read earlier where I will loose range of motion if I convert to another steering system so I was thinking of going with cable and pully that the motor is made for. The boat has no pullys so I would be doing it all from scratch.

100MEDIA_IMAG0206.jpg

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rebuild Cable Pully System on '73 40 Horse Evinrude

Actually it has the same setup that my 1976 Johnson 40 HP has. And mine was setup with a stick steering system on a same size Tom Boy boat. So you could upgrade with a stick steering instead of the pully and cable system very easily. Just a thought...

ryawrigh

Cadet

Stick steer would be great! I don't know where to begin at installing one though. Do you have any advice?

Thanks.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Yes I am presently looking to buy a Eze Glide system (either the 840 or 870) myself being how the old stick steering system I had was an Old Morse Command 2 system. And while the actual control box and steering arm are in excellent condition, the cable was nearly rusted through. Morse Controls sold out to Teleflex and Teleflex no longer makes or has any parts for it anymore. They suggested the Eze Glide system to me. Go to their (Eze Glide Stick Steering) website and they will explain what the differences are between the two systems and even show how their systems install and how to measure your boat for one... If would be so much better and maybe even a little more secure than the old pulley and cable setup.