95 Johnson 9.9 long shaft convert to tiller ?

PAUL577

Cadet
I just picked up a 1995 9.9 J10RELEO Long shaft Electric start in like new condition. It came with streering control / wheel and OMC shift box & cables. I do need the long shaft for my deep Vee 14ft Starcraft fishing boat, I have found the long shafts are not that easy to find. My question is can I convert this motor to a tiller type pretty easy ? It looks like there is no hole in the cowling for a shift lever ? I do see the bracket for the handle and I see some used handles on ebay for around $100. Will there be any re-wiring issues to deal with ?
The price seemed pretty good so I jumped on it. My other option is to re-sell the whole package for a small profit and keep searching.

Paul - Southern IL.

PAUL577

Cadet
Re: 95 Johnson 9.9 long shaft convert to tiller ?

I just picked up a 1995 9.9 J10RELEO Long shaft Electric start in like new condition. It came with streering control / wheel and OMC shift box & cables. I do need the long shaft for my deep Vee 14ft Starcraft fishing boat, I have found the long shafts are not that easy to find. My question is can I convert this motor to a tiller type pretty easy ? It looks like there is no hole in the cowling for a shift lever ? I do see the bracket for the handle and I see some used handles on ebay for around $100. Will there be any re-wiring issues to deal with ?
The price seemed pretty good so I jumped on it. My other option is to re-sell the whole package for a small profit and keep searching.

Paul - Southern IL.

I just noticed it will be a front shift lever. I see the rubber plug so disregard my question regarding the cowling. I had expected it to be a side shift lever.