1992 Johnson 40HP Not Starting - Solenoid?

Vile

Seaman Apprentice
I just had my engine rebuilt from a blowout. Now the engine starts sometimes an fails to start most of the time. When the key is turned, the engine does not turn over, the starter just sits there and I hear what sounds like a click (spark) on the starter or the solenoid when I try to start. It's one click or a spark type of sound and that's it. The starter does not seem to engage.

The battery is new as of last year, but it was hooked up to the boat most of the winter while in the shop. The battery was fully charged when this happen yesterday, but I did not measure the voltage yet just to make sure. When the motor does start, it works like a charm and it seems to be on key when it allows me to start. For example, the beginning of the day, I can start the engine. I run it for some on the water, turn it off and fish. 20 minutes later, I try to start the engine and nothing. I have to fiddle with it for a hour and maybe it will start again. Rinse and repeat.

I was told this is likely the Solenoid going bad or a wiring issue. The boat is a 92 and the wiring is not that great. I'm going to clean all the terminals and see if I can get a good voltage reading of the battery and solenoid before anything. But, it's raining now, so I figured I would ask just in case to see anyone had any thoughts about this being a bad solenoid or something else.

Vile

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1992 Johnson 40HP Not Starting - Solenoid?

Rain let up. I went out to the boat with a voltage meter to see what I can find out. The battery I had hooked up to the engine was my almost dead trolling motor batter (as I switched batteries to troll back with my dead motor). I measured the battery and then the Solenoid. It was reading the same voltage as the battery. All good there. Boat would not start. I switched to my normal engine battery. I measured the same. Both showed the same voltage. Went to crank, it cranked. Obviously the trolling motor did not have enough juice to crank.

Next, I will have to wait till it dies again and measure the voltages to see what's going on. Judging by what just happened with the dead battery, my good battery may be bad too. I will get it tested to just be sure. However, when the motor fails to start on the lake. The eletronics are all working as they are hooked to the engine battery. The only thing I've noticed odd is when it does start, the fish finder reads low voltage even though I just fully charged the battery.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Did you clean the battery cable ends shiny bright? Sounds like a poor electrical connection.

Do you know how to test the solenoid voltage? What I mean is a voltage drop test. Put your red meter lead on the battery + big nut side of the solenoid and the black lead on the starter side big nut. You should have battery voltage when not cranking, and virtually zero when starting (or "clicked"). If it passes that test, the solenoid is ok. Any voltage you observe there is voltage that is not getting to the starter. Any other parts of the system, such as battery cables can be tested the same way. You need to know how it works to know what to expect though. For instance, you won't see battery voltage in some cases, depending on exactly what you are testing.

Vile

Seaman Apprentice

I measured what I think was the big nut sides of the solenoid. I didnt measure both positive of solenoid and battery at same time. Dont know if thats possible with one voltage meter if I understood you right.

When I measured positive and negative of the solenoid. It showed good voltage. I couldn't measure while cranking to see if the voltage is dropping during the crank. It started today, so all seems fine. It wont start after I run it some. I guess I would have to measure it then to really see.

My terminls are not clean. I will do that before next test. Any suggestions on what works best for cleaning?

Vile

Seaman Apprentice

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I think the issue is the starter solenoid, but the lake is almost 2 hours away where my boat currently is docked. I want to get the solenoid here in town before heading up to the country, but I can't find my serial numbers. There only seems to be about 3 basic types of solenoids for this engine. Can any of you master mechanics give me your best guess on which one that may be based on this picture? I'm pretty sure that's the side of the solenoid at the bottom and it looks like only one of the solenoids for this boat.

I won't hold it against anyone if you're wrong, they are super cheap. Have fun! :lol:

20120603183324.jpg

Vile

Seaman Apprentice

I'll toss in another image of the full engine just in case that helps!

20120603184153.jpg

J.seas2

Recruit

Hi there . I was just looking at your Photo & the Red Solenoid switch is in the up position . I,m no expert but on my 50 hp Johnson the red switch should be barallel position to be in opperation mode .
There is only 1 fuel Solenoid on this model and the up position you have yours in is for manual chock when you have to pull start your engine . So your problely finding you outboard will start briefly and then just flood . Push it forward ( Parallel with Solenoid ) then it just works when you push the key in for chock .It should all ways stay Parallel unless your trying to pull start it .

Vile

Seaman Apprentice

Hi there . I was just looking at your Photo & the Red Solenoid switch is in the up position . I,m no expert but on my 50 hp Johnson the red switch should be barallel position to be in opperation mode .
There is only 1 fuel Solenoid on this model and the up position you have yours in is for manual chock when you have to pull start your engine . So your problely finding you outboard will start briefly and then just flood . Push it forward ( Parallel with Solenoid ) then it just works when you push the key in for chock .It should all ways stay Parallel unless your trying to pull start it .

Thanks for the look.

I replaced the Solenoid awhile back and that resolved the problem. The Solenoid was bad.

My little 40HP has been running great ever since. No problems and plenty of lake time.