1984 Johnson 70 HP Tilt Trim Problem

browntown

Recruit
Here we go,

My boat was left outside one night and it got rained on. Since then my tilt trim hasn't worked. It worked perfectly fine before and I've run down all the possibilities that I knew to check. Here's the problem....running from the boxes with the relays to the tilt trim motor when i press the tilt trim switch, i have 12 volts as long as the wires running to the tilt trim motor isn't attached. When the wires to the tilt trim are attached i have nothing. But i can take the wires from the tilt trim and place them directly to the battery and the tilt trim motor works.

Any ideas or thoughts would be helpful

-Sam

20130330_114454.jpg

20130330_114613.jpg

Re: 1984 Johnson 70 HP Tilt Trim Problem

proberly a bad connection on the positive or negative cable (notice you dont have 12v you have 11.89 where 12.6 would be better).

negative is near the starter motor and positive is fused to the starter feed wire. also check the inline fuse as it may be corroded causing high resistance.

do the relays make a clicking sound when you press the button for up and down or do they buzz (buzz is a indication of a poor connection)

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Check for water in your trim switch(s) blow them out with compressed air. Good luck

browntown

Recruit

Thanks for all the responses. Glenn you nailed it. It was a bad connection on the positive wire at the starter.

Never would have guessed to check that one.

Thanks

-Sam

Mike Gillu

Recruit

I have a t/t problem... going down works, but trying going up makes a clicking sound? Is that in the motor?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Mike, stick to one thread and don't hi-jack another. It's in the rules. Thank You.

Last edited: