timing on a 10 horse johnson

Freeman79

Cadet
I am trying to crank a 62' 10 hp sea horse for the 1st time after purchasing. I have replaced all ignition parts and cleaned carb. When it cranks, it runs slow but smooth until it jerks to a stop like it's firing too early. It has also backfired. Any ideas anyone? Excuse me, after fired through exhaust, not backfired through carb.

kbait

Commander
Re: timing on a 10 horse johnson

Proper timing is achieved through point gap. If you set the gap on both pointsets to .020" at widest opening, and you have no lateral play in the armature plate, you should be good there. Any lateral slop in that plate relates directly to point gap, throwing the timing off. Is your backfire actually a lean-sneeze? Try adjusting the mixture knobs counter-clockwise to richen the mixture. High speed initial setting should be 3/4 turn open from lightly seated, Low speed 1.5 turns. You may have to remove/re-orient the knobs to turn the proper amount, as they likely can only move 3/4 of a turn with the knobs in place, as they are indexed (you'll see what I mean when you remove one).

Report back on progress...And good luck!

Welcome to iboats!!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Sounds like it might be running lean. Try opening up (counter-clockwise) the low speed needle 1/8 turn or so.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

The high speed needle valve should be open 1 turn and the low speed needle valve should be open 1-1/2 turns (app). Set the needle valves like that and run the motor. You may have to adjust (open) the low speed needle slightly to get a smooth idle. If the motor still coughs, squeeze the primer bulb a couple of times, if the coughing stops, the fuel pump may be weak. Remember to pre mix the fuel at 24:1 ratio.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Other things to note.

When you reinstalled the flywheel, did you properly torque the flywheel nut?

Hopefully you did not partially shear the key.

Plug wires on the right plugs?

Hopefully it is just a lean sneeze as mentioned and only needs minor tweaking.

Freeman79

Cadet

Thanks so much guys, I really had no idea where to position the high and low needles. It's a wonder it cranked at all.

Freeman79

Cadet

Proper timing is achieved through point gap. If you set the gap on both pointsets to .020" at widest opening, and you have no lateral play in the armature plate, you should be good there. Any lateral slop in that plate relates directly to point gap, throwing the timing off. Is your backfire actually a lean-sneeze? Try adjusting the mixture knobs counter-clockwise to richen the mixture. High speed initial setting should be 3/4 turn open from lightly seated, Low speed 1.5 turns. You may have to remove/re-orient the knobs to turn the proper amount, as they likely can only move 3/4 of a turn with the knobs in place, as they are indexed (you'll see what I mean when you remove one).

Report back on progress...And good luck!

Welcome to iboats!!

Thanks man, it's running better, but I can't run it long enough to get it adjusted properly now because I noticed it's not pumping water out the exhaust. Guess what's next.

kbait

Commander

If you're barrel testing, make sure the waterpump is submerged. Pump won't self prime, and water just over intakes won't cut it. Just have the water level over the oval bulge at the top of the lower unit.

Good luck!

nwcove

Admiral

when you cleaned the carb, did you re-kit it?

kfa4303

Banned

+1.I used to have a '61 10hp myself. Great little motor and 24:1 is the way to go. That's about 5.5 fl. oz. of TCW-3, 2-stroke outboard oil to 1 US gal. of 87 octane fuel. I run the same mix in my late 60's era motors without issue. Here is a great link that will help you get you motor dialed in.

Johnson

1962 Johnson QD-23 10 hp Outboard Motor Parts

Freeman79

Cadet

Yes, I assume I set the float height correctly, but I had to go on hear-say without a manual. I put it level with the bowl when held upside down.

Freeman79

Cadet

I can't remember how I mixed it. Knowing me, I probably mixed it rich with oil.

Freeman79

Cadet

I am barrel testing, and I did just have it over the intake. Thanks for the advice. I've started to pull the lower unit off and have broken off one of the bolts due to corrosion. Once I get that out, I'll be able to see the condition of the pump. Hopefully, I haven't ruined it already.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

As stated, you need more water in your tank. The water line should be couple inches below the exhaust port on the back of the leg.