98 Johnson 50 shifting problem

Fawlguy

Recruit
Hey Folks,

I've got a 98 Johnson 50 J50TSLECC. When I got it it would not go into reverse. Started trouble shooting and I found bad shifting and throttle cables, replaced both with Teleflex Extremes. Removed lower unit and replaced seals. Checked clutch dog: all edges are sharp and square, removed pin spring and the 3 ball bearings. Cleaned the shifting plunger put ball bearings back with spring and put the pin back in. Put lower unit back together, filled up with gear oil, came across a new shift rod for a couple bucks, so I replaced the shift rod. Adjusted and triple checked shift rod height of 21 15/16". Installed lower unit. Of course this was done with unit in neutral. Checked the shift linkage and found one of the plastic bushings/guides was slipped out on the shift rod side. Put the guide back in. loosened the shifting lobe that rides accross the small ball bearing which indicates being in neutral by being in the center indention. Attached shift rod to linkage and made sure shifting lobe was still in the neutral position. Tightened this shifting lobe. Placed control box in neutral, adjusted shifting cable to fit snug with no slack while in neutral. Success, or so I thought. I was able to shift the unit into revearse-neutral-forward while turning the prop.

Filled up barrel of water and cranked the motor. Motor runs good, shifted into forward. Lower unit engaged and ran fine. shifted to neutral and the back to reverse, motor still running good and lower unit engaged and ran in reverse. Stopped the motor and went inside to celebrate. Came back out to finish up other minor work and started engine back up. Shifted into forward and began hearing "clunking noises" indicating the clutch dog was not engaging all the way. Put in neutral and clunking noise stopped. Put into reverse and "clunking noises" started again.

Is it possible that the shift rod lever should be slightly different than 21 15/16" due to wear ect on other parts?

Any ideas would be appreciated. I'm not experience and have never done this before. I do have a service manuel and consider myself to be pretty mechanically inclined, but I'm sure its something simple so don't hessitate to throw some insulting ideas or questions.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 98 Johnson 50 shifting problem

I retired a few years before that engine was manufactured but will jump in here to get your post back on top if for no other reason.

However.... a ratching type noise when engaging gears would indicate that the shifter dog was not engaging the gear(s) fully. I assume that you have the shift control cable hooked up..... Does it shift properly with the shift cable removed and simply shifting the engine by hand with the engine's shift linkage?

A "clunking" type noise is usually encountered only if the engine is jumping out of and back into gear, and normally this only happens at the higher rpms. Any chance something fell into that barrel and the prop is hitting it?

Fawlguy

Recruit

No nothing in the barrell. I've adjusted everything again in the linkage and now its working again. Dropped lower unit turned the shift rod one turn upwards and that didn't work. reset to original height and turned it one turn down and it seems to like that position. Thanks for the reply.

Finally took it to the water and let her rip. Working great. Well other than a beep beep beep noise..... not sure if its my VRO sensor or over heating sensor. Either way it must be a bad sensor that a pair of wire cutters can take care of ..... after i elliminate where its coming from that is....

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

(VRO Horn Warnings)
(J. Reeves)

NOTE: I retired around 1991/92. Possibly some of the later V4 engines and others may also incorporate a fuel vacuum switch that would enable a fuel restriction warning to sound as mentioned below, an unknown factor to myself.

1 - A steady constant beep = Overheating - The V/6 engines, possibly some others, have a fuel restriction warning which is also a steady constant beep.

2 - A beep every 20 or 40 seconds = oil level has dropped to 1/4 tank. (Late model engine = Every 40 seconds)

3 - A beep every other second = VRO failure, air leak in oil line, oil restriction, (anything that would result in a lack of oil being supplied to the engine).

NOTE - If the warning horn is the black plastic (overpriced) three wire type horn, the warning horn should beep once when the ignition key is turned to the ON position. If it does not, it is either faulty or someone has disconnected it (a stupid move!). At any rate, if it does not beep which indicates that the horn is non functional, find out why and do not run the engine until the problem is corrected.

mclothier3

Seaman Apprentice

I would stick with premix in your main tank until you can verify the VRO is working or not. Cheap insurance to make sure you dont seize it up due to lack of oil. Is it smoking at all when it runs?

The beep beep beep could mean several things, but just guessing here... the engine has been sitting awhile? maybe it has some air bubbles in the oil line? I know it beeps differently for a "low oil" and "no oil" and I also believe if its overheating the horn is on continuous.

It wouldnt hurt to do some searching and read up on the VRO system, its complicated... but when it works, it works.