1970 Evinrude 60HP Triumph ID Tag Missing

fire0501

Seaman
Hello Everyone, I'm hoping to get some help Identifying This Motor I have Pictures of it as well If needed. A Couple days ago I bought this boat 1973 Winner Marauder 17ft for a great price and I am looking to go over the engine to prep it for the summer. I wen to locate the ID Tag and it is missing. The guy told me it is a 1970 Evinrude 60HP Triumph which the motor cover confirms but it seems there are several different model numbers when I look for parts. Could someone please help me identify the different characteristics Of the different models. My Motor looks to have one coil that goes to the distributor to 3 cylinders.

This is MY first boat and while I am new to Boats I am not new to Engines, however I am unfamiliar with the older motors so any help Would be great!

IMG_20130328_081434_555_zps9e167d7a.jpg

IMG_20130328_081406_619_zpsf8c00295.jpg

fire0501

Seaman
Re: 1970 Evinrude 60HP Triumph ID Tag Missing

The old owner found the tag Its a 1971 is seems 60173C. I bought the boat under the impression it has a fuel overflow problem coming out of the exhaust when trying to start im Thinking It will prob be the carbs float valve stuck I cleaned them last night and didnt really find anything obvious. I am going to try to start it today and see what happens if It does the same thing I will start an other thread IF after searching I cant find anything

nwcove

Admiral

nice clean looking motor, have you done a compression test yet???

gm280

Supreme Mariner

On some of those older engines there is an aluminum plug on the top of the engine that looks like a freeze plug. It isn't such a thing but has the numbers on it to verify the engine year, model and such. If you do see one of those you can post that number or research it to verify exactly what you have...

fire0501

Seaman

Hi and Thanks nwcove, As far as i know its been a fresh water motor only so thats prob why its clean. I havent done a compression test yet. I tried to start it tonight but i believe the power wire might be bad as I wasnt getting enough juice to the starter and it wasnt cranking strong enough so tomorrow I will use a jumper cable to see if that was the problem before I bu new wires. I can feel the motor has compression but of course without the compression test I dont know how much so that will be the next move.

gm280, The guy i bought it from found the tag and is mailing it to me but i will check tomorrow morning to see if that plug is there with the numbers on it and thanks for the info!

fire0501

Seaman

Well I got it running today and the distributor had a crack where the wire goes in and I am plastic epoxying it now. however I did a compression test and the top cyl number one I think has 105 PSI, Middle has 125psi, and bottom has 130psi...... That sucked to see. one stinking cylinder. So how hard is it to replace the piston and rings on these motors? I have the service manual and will check it out in a minute but I didnt see anywhere on the motor where the cylinder would separate from the crankcase. Again this would be my first boat lol

nwcove

Admiral

id try a decarb on it to see if things improve on the top cyl before i tore it apart. jmo

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Do a cyl drop test on it when it's running and see if it's hitting on all the cyl's.

fire0501

Seaman

Do a cyl drop test on it when it's running and see if it's hitting on all the cyl's.

The plastic that was cracked was the wire that came from the coil. you could see the spark bouncing off the flywheel. I nail glued everything back in place and then used locktite plastic epoxy and finished it off hopefully that will hold. right where the wire went in that piece was about 4 pieces
dist_zps7275c7cf.jpg

fire0501

Seaman

Yea I like that idea I will give it a try possibly a sticky ring(s) I'm hoping for the best

fire0501

Seaman

Well, i put the stator on and she still runs like crap. Sounds like its missing but I only have the water muffs on it, would that cause and issue with it idling correctly? I need to put it in a tank I think in order to get her to idle properly so I can tune the carbs, Does this sound about right?