How to loosen up steering Evinrude 140

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys. Got my motor all back together and getting ready to paint but I remembered that the steering was stiff and wanted to loosen it up before I painted it. It's a 1982 Evinrude 140. It's on an engine stand so definately not the steering cable lol. I pumped the zerk full of grease and it comes out of the bottom but not out of the top. It moves back and forth with a good bit of resistance. I've been spraying it with PB Blaster for a few days but doesn't really seem to be helping a lot. I'm guessing since the grease comes out of the bottom that the top is packed up with old grease. Any suggestions on how to free it up more or get the grease to go to the top? Thanks!

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How to loosen up steering Evinrude 140

It's starting to get a little better. Put a little heat to it and still soaking with blaster. Still can't get grease up there though.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You might be able to wrap the bottom seal with a heavy cotton rag. Put a stick in it to twist it tighter around that seal area. Give it another shot with the grease gun-maybe that will force the grease up into the upper seal area.

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks. I tried that then there was grease coming out from a hole about 1 inch below the seal. Tried just covering that with my finger- didn't work out too well so I put a screw in it to plug it. Grease gun was very hard to pump and a little leaked out around the bottom seal but still couldn't get it to come out of the top. Tried heating it some more and pumping but no luck. I finally used the whole tube of grease so I guess I'll have to give up for tonight. Really thinking about buying one of those air powered grease guns lol. One thing I noticed though is after I heat it up the motor is very hard to turn- after it cools down it becomes a little easier. Give it another shot tomorrow.

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class

Haven't really made any more progress after putting it through a few more heat cycles. Still can't get grease out of the top. A few things I was thinking of trying were to remove the grease zerk and try spraying brake cleaner inside and/or blowing it out with compressed air. Would that be a bad idea?

cr2k

Captain

Lift the engine up enough to take the weight off the top bushing and she might grease up a little better. As in hoist it up a bit not tilt it.

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks I'll give it a try tomorrow.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I've went as far already to drill and tap some holes in the upper part of the tube and installed some zerk fittings which freed it up. Just a thought.

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tried greasing it with the engine hanging from the cherry picker and still no luck. I think it's time to start drilling. Where would be the best place to drill in the upper tube? The manual doesn't really give any good pictures but I don't want to drill into the bushing. Thanks for the help.

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Did you ever get it loosened up? I'm in the same boat, so to speak. Curious to see if you were successful.

Dave

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class

No not really. It loosed up a little but not a whole lot. Put a few grease zerks in it and did everything else. I think the bushing may just be shot. I'm going to go ahead and put it on the boat and see how it does- hopefully it won't be too stiff. The odd thing is that if the motor is tilted up it moves back and forth easily- the farther down you go the harder it is to turn.

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class

If this engine is on a picker, why not remove the pivot arm and service it you will be glad you did, new trust washers and seals you be good for years to come...

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class

If this engine is on a picker, why not remove the pivot arm and service it you will be glad you did, new trust washers and seals you be good for years to come...

Do I have have to pull the powerhead to do that?

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok thanks. Right now it's on the engine stand in the garage but I can lift it with the picker easy enough. I thought I read on here that the powerhead and lower unit had to be removed. I might have to give that a shot. I really didn't want to pull the powerhead because the bolts are so corroded that every one I try to remove breaks.

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here it a picture of the it removed from the midsection
DSCF0013-2.jpg

Notice the oversize nut at the bottom remove it and pull the yoke up you see the mess inside. Zinc primer on part show :)

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class

lol that's exactly how mine looks right now. Hopefully can paint it tomorrow :). Doesn't look too bad to remove.