1969 55 hp evinvrude triumph Smoking.....

Muskrat2k9

Cadet
Hi all!

I just started my outboard this week and it shot out a heavy blue smoke.. Let it run for about 10 mins and the smoke did not get any better... Emptied the gas tank and put in fresh gas with a 50:1 oil mix. But it still smokes. I tried to adjust the carbs and I can get it to stop smoking and run good. The engines runs like a top and runs great! Any ideas?

Dustin

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1969 55 hp evinvrude triumph Smoking.....

mmmmm was it winterized ??? how long did it sit maybe it froze and u gotta busted gasket somewhere ?? ill be excited to see what it is though .....wrong oil mix or oil ???see what the plugs look like ???

nwcove

Admiral

is the motor new to you? running in a barrel? maybe just needs a run on the water?

Muskrat2k9

Cadet

Thanks for the reply! it smokes both on the hose and on the lake. It sat over winter about 5 1/2 mths. Spark plugs look brand new but they were just replaced as well. No it was not winterized, I forgot to do that last year (silly me). i have had this motor for about 7 years now and it always had a smoking problem. Just worse now and I suspect its a carb problem since I have always had carb problems with this boat. But it adjust them any direction the motor will either run great at idle and terrible at WOT or Great at WOT and terrible at idle. This is the only setting it will do both. Also I forgot to say its qot alot of oil coming out of the exhaust. Its for sure 50:1 as I paid extra attention to this.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Is the mtr coming up to proper operating temperature ?? Should be around 145* at idle and around 155* at wot. After mtr is warmed up.

Muskrat2k9

Cadet

I have no idea to be honest. How do find this out?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Go buy a cheap infared gun at Harbor Freight or Radio Shack and shoot the temp on top of the block. I even use mine around the house. They have many uses.

Muskrat2k9

Cadet

Its around 92F after a short trip on the lake.

Muskrat2k9

Cadet

Also, It maybe running cooler because its in really cold water! I am sure this will effect the temp a little right?

nwcove

Admiral

92 is way to cool, sounds like your t-stat is stuck open or has been removed. ( unless your short trip wasnt enough to bring the motor up to temp)

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Its around 92F after a short trip on the lake.

You are shooting the temp on the engine top and not the cowling aren't you? And I didn't mean that to be an insult, just wanting to make sure...

Also if you can't adjust your carb to work perfect in both the idle speed and the top end, then you do have something wrong or misadjusted in that carb OR the wrong carb... It should work correctly at both ranges... The idle circuit is different then the top end circuit.

Muskrat2k9

Cadet

I am pointing the laser right by the spark plug on each cylinder and get similar readings.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Way to cold as said above. Check your theromostat. This could cause your smoking prob. Point the laser right on the TOP of the block.

Muskrat2k9

Cadet

Thank you guys sooo much! I am going to take it fishing again soon, so I want to make sure I am getting the right temp. I know where the tstat is and have a service man that tells me how to replace it.

Thanks
Dustin