Idle/Mixture intial setting Johnson 6 HP 6R69M

Bill1974

Cadet
I just finished cleaning out my carb and I still need to oreder my manual for this engine. Can someone tell me what the intial setting is for the mixture after screwing the needle all the way in? I need to back it off how far?

The idle appears to be in the float bowl for this model and I left it in its spot.

On a last note this carb still has a cork float in it and with the online manuals if I order a new one will it be cork or plastic or other?

Rick.

Captain
Re: Idle/Mixture intial setting Johnson 6 HP 6R69M

I was just tuning up my 68 Evinrude tonight! I set mine at 1 1/2 turns out and it started up fine. After warm up I turned it in maybe a 1/4 turn. The fuel I was using was a heavy oil mix so may have further adjusting to do with a 50/1 mix. I would guess you would get a composite float but you never know. " The idle appears to be in the float bowl for this model and I left it in its spot." Not really sure what you mean here. Best of luck. Rick.

I dont know what you mean by the idle in the float bowl either. on the needle run it all the way in then out 1 1/2 turns like Rick said, then fine tune it from there by rotating it slightly.

I would think you would have a plastic piece on the back of your motor with a screw in it at the same level as the metal piece that rotates as you spin the tiller handle. You should be able to adjust that screw to adjust idle.

Is your motor a 1969? If so I have a manuel for all of the 69' models and will look what it has for idle adjustment

Bill1974

Cadet

Yes it is a 1969 model. and that would be great if you can post the MM info.

Doesn't look like there is a plastic piece on the back like i thought. the manual says to seat the needle then run out 3/4 turn, get your motor to operating temp by running at half throttle. then run motor at slow speed (700-750 rpm) and adjust the needle until motor runs fastest and smoothest, but allow 15 seconds for the motor to respond to adjustments. it should then idle at 550rpm IN GEAR