1979 25hp johnson sea horse ignition problem

Eddie5

Recruit
Hi everyone,

This is my first project motor im taking on. I has good compression, 120 lbs both cylinders. cleaned the carb, new spark plugs and wires. I managed to strip the threads on the head (spark plug) and got them fixed. when i took the head off, the two coils were melted to the head, so i had to pry them off with a screwdriver. now that i have reattached the fixed head i cannot remember how the wires go back to hook up the coils. one coil has a positive ran to a 3 wire quick disconnect and the other wire is grounded. however the other coil has a negative grounded and a positive that has the same connector on it as the ground, as if it were supposed to be grounded or something. I cannot get a spark so i am not sure if i just flat out do not have it hooked up right or if it is something in before the coils in the ignition system. Any help or suggestions would be awesome! im not against replacing the coils, i would just like to know how to hook them back up! thanks
Eddie

Eddie5

Recruit
Re: 1979 25hp johnson sea horse ignition problem

also, before i even did anything to the motor, i tried cranking on it and it fired and tried to start. So i believe the coils "were" in working order

jasper60103

Commander

Eddie,
the ground wires should have the ring type connectors on the end.
I assume you didn't change these connectors? They should be grounded. See pic below.

3 wire connector:
A - black/yellow wire goes to the kill button or ignition switch
B - orange/blue wire goes to coil #1 (top)
C - orange wire goes to coil #2 (bottom)

Good luck.

2012-07-06112841.jpg

Eddie5

Recruit

No I did not change the connectors, however the positive on one of the coils is short like the negative and has a ring connector on it, this is why I was confused, thanks for all your help

jmactacular

Recruit

I also have the same problem with my 25R77H 1977 Johnson 25 HP. Any response on the wiring for the ring connectors?

I think the coils are bad in mine though so I'm considering swapping them for ones off a 2001 65 HP. The mechanic I'm buying them from said it should work. What do you think?