1959 Johnson 5.5 Dying at High speed

SEABEE#2

Seaman
I have been working on a Johnson 5.5 from 1959 and whenever I run it at high speed it bogs down real fast and jerks when it dies. Do not have a clue as to why this could be happening. Any clues or hints on where to start?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1959 Johnson 5.5 Dying at High speed

I would start by cleaing/rebuilding the carb. May be high speed circuit.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

It is the path the fuel travels when in high speed operation.

Take the carb off, soak it in solvent or Pine Sol, wash with hot soapy water, blast with compressed air, then shoot aerosol carb cleaner into all passages/cavities, wash again, then blast dry with comrpessed air. Should now be spotless, time to rebuild.

Float needle could be sticking, float issue, clogged passage, etc...

Are you running on a fuel pump or pressure tank>>?

SEABEE#2

Seaman

I converted it to run on a fuel pump which when I plugged one of the holes behind the carb I may not have done it right. Heres the site where I learned to convert these things. I converted my 10hp with no problem but maybe I didn't do something right there now that I think about it. 5.5 HP Evinrude Johnson Pressurized Fuel Tanks

lindy46

Captain

Did it run OK before the fuel pump conversion?

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral

In doubt, just plug up the pressure nipple with a piece of 1 inch fuel line and a fat screw and silicone. or plug it with JBweld

nwcove

Admiral

In doubt, just plug up the pressure nipple with a piece of 1 inch fuel line and a fat screw and silicone. or plug it with JBweld

That wont work with the 5.5. The nipple on the intake manifold is the only place to get a pulse for the fuel pump.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Does it seem like it is tightening up when it dies? Broken shock absorber in lower unit. Very Common

---OR--can we assume it is pumping water and not overheating?

Attachments

• Shock absorber operation iboats.jpg
    Shock absorber operation iboats.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral

good point i have been doing qd, fd, and a fleetwin 7.5 :-(

SEABEE#2

Seaman

Yes it seems that way. The complete motor does a big Jerk when at the end and it feels like its tightening up. I just changed the water pump because when I ran it the first time it pumped no water whatsoever. Is the shock absorber a spring? Where can I locate the shock absorber? Thanks!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

It is underneath the water pump housing. They should measure 6 3/4" from end to end, any more and they are no good. You will notice wear on the bearing housing plate on top of it.

SEABEE#2

Seaman

Ok sounds good! I probably wont have time until the weekend to mess with it but your input and information is greatly appreciated! Thanks! Ill do an update when I get the chance.