johnson 140 hp gasket

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
hanks in advance for your responce.just decarbed j140tlcte and noticed a small stream of water comming from exhaust to cylinder head gasket i have new one, will atempt to install should i use some type of sealant and i would appreicate any questions or advice you would give as im new at this ,i need a service manual the only one that might be good ive found is pretty pricey.thank you guys for your time and advice.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: johnson 140 hp gasket

The only true service manual to get is an original factory one. You can check out this website: outboardbooks.com for a new reproduction factory manual. Or try ebay. I'm confused by your description of the problem. Not sure if your exhaust covers are leaking, the cylinder heads, the powerhead base gasket or the cylinder head covers. If it's the exhaust manifold, There are two different exhaust cover/manifold gaskets. You will want to put some permatex type sealant (the caramel colored sticky sealer in a can with a swab) on the gaskets when you install them. Most new head gaskets are marked "no sealer required". I'd retorque your bolts after running the engine through a couple of heat/cool cycles.

tblshur

thank you for your quick answer. the gasket is the 323469 & 317955 exhaust gasket i will try to find some of the caramel permatex.the only torque specs i have found are 60 to 80 in lbs. all the manuals ive found cover 6 to v6 that seems like it would not be spesific enough for my j140tlcte. thank you very much & i hope you have a great spring.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The factory manuals really don't show the re-bolting of the exhaust covers at all. Your torque spec should be ok for the manifolds. To make sure it mounts flat, I'd torque in 2 steps-up to the final spec value. One thing I'd probably do-hold a light up to the back of the inner manifold and see if you can see any light through it. In rare instances, these covers have been found with casting porosity-and can leak water into the exhaust chest. Just nice to check before reassembly. Run a straight edge across the block and make sure the exhaust filler blocks are still perfectly flat to the face of the powerhead.

tblshur

thanks emdsapmgr ill take 2steps on the torque,and check the mating surfaces with light and straight edge .ill post back with progress report hopefully, or more questions thanks again for info.

tblshur

i finally got achance to take the bubble and spacer off the gasket at cylinder head was chared between upper and lower exhaust ports looks like the sealant didnt adhere in some places around the outside however i checked with alight and straight edge looks pretty good. i havent found any caramel colored sealant would you know where to get it or something else .napa said they have indian head shelac i dont know about it.i do think it needs the correct sealant even if i have to wait to put it back together.thank you guys for all the help.also i found a manual pt# 393765 would this be the one id want.thanks again

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The factory gasket sealer is part number 508235. Sold in a 4 oz. can. Under $ 9. Substitutes are readily available in auto parts stores if you don't want to make a drip to the dealer Check out a 4 oz container of Permatex aviation gasket sealer, # 3H. It's just a little thicker..

tblshur

i got gaskets on and torqued bolts, took it to lake seems to run fine no more leaky gasket, but i noticed the timer base arm was not going against rubber stop upon checking wires on the other side were in the way,i fixed them today.iwould like to know what the timer base does the motor seemed to run fine at the lake. would i be able to tell the difference how it runs.i cant thank you guys enough for all your help

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The timer base is connected to the throttle through the spark advance lever. As the throttle in increased, the spark advances. Always best to have the timer base loose enough to move through it's normal movement range. That way you get max performance and fuel economy. I'd think you would see most difference over 3000 rpm's.