'96 15 horse evinrude lower unit leak

mosabi

Recruit
Hello, I'm new here and hoping I can get some assistance. I have a '96 15 horse evinrude that I winterized by replacing the lower unit oil and fogged the cylinders. What I noticed this winter was a puddle of clean lower unit oil on the cement floor. I've owned the boat and motor several years now and this is the first time I've noticed it. I always winterize the motor.

A short time ago I pulled the prop off and it doesn't appear to be coming from the shaft sticking out. No fishing line in there either. There was a puddle of oil sitting in the housing almost strait down where the exhaust shoots down in the far inside. What exactly am I up against here? Is it the shaft seal perhaps? Is this something a novice like me can replace, if not how much would it approximately be to repair at a boat shop?

Note: the oil is not spent oil/gas. Its clean lower unit oil greenish blue in color. Not black.

Here is a picture, hope it helps. http://db.tt/Q6C50K57

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: '96 15 horse evinrude lower unit leak

Looks like L/U oil. Could be the oring around the propshaft bearing carrier housing. Rather than guess, take the L/U in and have it pressure and vacuumed checked.

mosabi

Recruit

Looks like L/U oil. Could be the oring around the propshaft bearing carrier housing. Rather than guess, take the L/U in and have it pressure and vacuumed checked.

What type of expense am I looking at if you had to guess. Obviously it needs to be looked at but I'm just thinking ahead. Thanks!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Call some dlrs in your area and get a quote for the P&V check. When you find out where it is and you have an OEM service manual and tools you could do it yourself. There's plenty of help on this site.