1959 Johnson 35 hp experiment' would it work?

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer
Well I have a old 1959 Jonny 35 SD21. I broke the original 2 line water pump housing getting it off & they are quiet proud of them, So I have several of the bigtwin one line pump housings the screw holes seem to be the same, could I just crimp the return water line & use the bigtwin housing? always looking to save a buck in these times & this engine is a bit ruff nothing special but usable I'v just always kinda wondered if this would work ----so thought I would ask the experts or if anyone has experimented in the try-it and see what happens realm. thanks

kodibass

Re: 1959 Johnson 35 hp experiment' would it work?

Sorry I some how posted this twice,

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I dont think I would try this.

This cooling system relies on the spent cooling water returning to the pump if the thermostat is still closed. Instead of looping like it should, the spent cooling water will sit there, and the water that has been sitting in the water jacket which is now very hot may not make it to the thermostat, telling it to open.

Just too many things could go wrong. Post a wanted ad at aomci.org in the webvertize. Not a big ticket item, I was selling them for 5 bucks, but do not have any left.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Remove the thermostat and it should work OK. The motor will run cold, but that is likely not a big problem.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Finding a used housing for cheap shouldn't be a problem...

kfa4303

Banned

+1 just get a new housing. check ebay, aomci.org or ganotech.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Remove the thermostat and it should work OK. The motor will run cold, but that is likely not a big problem.

Im sorry but I am dead against this idea. These motors NEED that t stat and valve assembly to work correctly. They not only control the min temp the motor runs at, but exhaust gas can actually get down into the pump and render it useless without the whole system working as one. Motor can burn up pretty quickly at WOT.

Sorry dont mean to be confrontational, but have seen a few motors burn up by guys removing the t stats and valves on these motors. Would hate to see that happen to the poster for the sake of a cheap impeller housing.

I bought a 58 Super Sea Horse once that I couldnt get to pump water. I dropped the gearcase 3 times inspecting. Ended up being the previous owner had removed the t stat and valve, and exhaust gas was getting into the water pump. They pump water great, air not so great.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Gee, I plugged the return line and removed the theromstat on my fat-fifty and it worked just fine. It had the same kind of water recirculation system as the big twin.

kodibass

Thank's everyone' Chris I was thinking I would need to plug the pump housing return with a short piece of water tube crimped as well correct? I got a new kit off ebay with the 2 tube set up, but I still kinda want to try this as I have a butt load of the single line housings, Also if the return line was crimped/plugged no gasses or hot water could return to the pump that I see. It should exit the blubber hole and lower foot exhaust I would think. This motor does not have the very over engineered hot water, hot exhaust air/ spring/ never works correct choke set up like my 40 lark4 so I thought this would be a good try it & see motor. speaking of my lark choke system and its many flaws...I currently have a 1984 Suzuki manual 40 that I adapted a 1958 bigtwin cowl to looks great works well, I just could not find a zuki hood. I also have a Merc 8 with the straight from the factory & very crappy twist & shift throttle set up. it never worked right. It now has a yamaha tiller with the shift lever on the arm it works outstanding! Not everything them engineers came up with back in the day was Grand idea...