1972 johnson 125 outboard help!

chevykid

Recruit
Hi, i am new to boating an recently bought a 1972 runabout boat with a 50th anniversary johnson 125 outboard in it. i can get the boat started but it back fires and dies somtimes when revved up, is there a timing method with this? also i was told water is suppose to come out the weep holes in the back, when running the holes only trickle water out after about 15 minutes of running. is it suppose to take that long or should it be instantatious? also im not sure if my engine has a fuel pump because when priming the primer bulb the bulb goes almost flat and doesent prime very well.. does the engine have a fuel pump? and where would it be located?

thanks for all your help!!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 johnson 125 outboard help!

If the engine backfires, it is possible one of the spark plug coils leads is switch onto another plug, causing 2 cyls to fire at the wrong time. If you double check and find the correct color power pack wires are driving the correct plugs, then you could have a fuel issue. If the carbs have any dried fuel restricting the carb passages, it can cause the engine to "sneeze" or miss occasionally. (This may appear to be a "backfire). Actually, it is a lean condition at idle due to an internal fuel restriction of dried fuel gel. This is a carb issue and would require them to be torn down and cleaned internally. (a common problem on engines that have not been run much or were improperly stored over the winter.) When first started, that engine will not have any water coming out of the exhaust relief holes at the top of the midsection. After you run it for a minute or more, the single thermostat (vernatherm) will open, and then a fine water/mist will come out of those holes. (that's good-indicates the pump and thermostat are working normally.) The fuel pump bolts to the starboard side of the engine. Remove the cowling and follow the fuel hose from the inside of the lower cowl-it is connnected to the fuel pump. Fuel hoses that go flat are definitely a problem. Could be a bad hose bulb (one or both of the ball valves are sticking), or a restriction at the tank. Are you using a built-in tank or remote 6 gallon tank? Check the anti-siphon valve on a built-in.

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes the guys have said it very well ...

chevykid

Recruit

The tank I have is a 11 gallon tempo tank.. I went under the bow and messed with the pick up line and rotated it a few times and it seems to be priming better. Maybe the pick up tube was flat on the bottom? And it does make sense about the fuel issue I'm having it has been sitting for a few years so maybe it does need the carbs gone through. And is there anyway that I can check that the fuel pump is working?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'd start with a new or known-to-be-clean portable tank and new fuel line/bulb. If the motor runs fine, then there was something up with your tank or line. If it still stumbles but picks back up when you squeeze the primer bulb, you've got fuel pump issues.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

If the engine does not run well, try constantly priming the fuel hose bulb. This will force extra fuel into the carb bowls. If the engine runs fine as long as you constantly prime the fuel hose bulb-I'd be looking at the fuel pump.

357dave

Recruit

Hi, i am new to boating an recently bought a 1972 runabout boat with a 50th anniversary johnson 125 outboard in it. i can get the boat started but it back fires and dies somtimes when revved up, is there a timing method with this? also i was told water is suppose to come out the weep holes in the back, when running the holes only trickle water out after about 15 minutes of running. is it suppose to take that long or should it be instantatious? also im not sure if my engine has a fuel pump because when priming the primer bulb the bulb goes almost flat and doesent prime very well.. does the engine have a fuel pump? and where would it be located?

thanks for all your help!!

I have a '72, 125 Johnson that did this when I was picking it up from the shop after a piston replacement. I had the tech run it for me before I took it home and it backfired at RPM. With a sour look on his face, he retarded the timing about 1/2?. Ran great after that. (Sorry, I forget how to set the timing, but am web-searching that right now.)
Regarding the water, always make sure you are running water in with the ear-muffs before you start on dry land - you don't want to melt the impeller. When first started there will be a warm steam come out the small holes at the bottom of the gearcase and a mist out the prop exhaust. After it warms up - in several minutes, there will be some that comes out the two 1/2"exhaust ports above water line. When running in water there will likely only be a mist that comes out of these. This engine seems to need way less cooling than others.
Of course this engine has a fuel pump. 1) Make sure the tank vent is working. 2) On the left side of the engine there is round black pastic part held by a slotted screw with the fuel hose going into it. The filter screen is under it. Make sure the screen is clean. Likely it is and the fuel pump is probably OK as well. Take the fitting off the engine end of the hose and pump some fuel back into your tank. If the bulb stays flat, the problem is the bulb.