'91 Evinrude V4 120- CDI troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

reno1313

Recruit
My '91 V4 120 Evinrude has been a sweet engine for over 20 years- extremely reliable with proper care, until now. Symptoms- was running well, close to WOT then stopped (no stumbling/sputtering like loss of fuel). It died like turning the key off. Started again, ran, and did same thing and then would not start at all.

Fresh tune up on engine- carbs rebuilt, fuel cell removed, drained, 100% fresh new gas.

Once back at home on garden hose, I find the problem is intermittent- sometimes will start and run for 1-3 minutes. I attached a timing light to watch firing to individual cylinders. When it will not start, none of the 4 plug wires have firing. When it does start, all 4 fire, then become erratic firing, and stops. Wiring system is immaculate- no weathering, rubbed spots that can be located, and all plugs and terminal strip connections have been checked for looseness and corrosion, etc. My thinking is taking me to the CDI unit. Anyone have experience with any testing on these before I start swapping parts?

Many thanks
Reno

Last edited:

MaPaHa

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: '91 Evinrude V4 120- CDI troubleshooting

I’ve had some trouble with my Johnson 1996 V-6 175 CDI – OIS ignition system doing similar random stuff. The first time it would not start I messed with it and then took it in and they said the battery was weak. I thought to myself that’s a bunch of crap but I counted to ten and listened. I paid them for the battery and smiled and said I’ll give it a shot and see if there’s anymore trouble. After doing some research they were telling me right that that system has to spin at a certain RPM to start and it started after that but is now still having random problems with running.

Last time out last year mine would start fine and idle but nothing more. It would die when you put it in gear. Yesterday I took it out and it spit and sputtered a bit and had some surging at 4000-5000 RPM but mostly cleared up. It doesn’t seem like carbs to me, it acts like the ignition is breaking down.

There is a good troubleshooting guide put out by CDI on-line about this system you should look up. It may also be in the shop manuals. You can test most of the items with an ohm meter but there’s a “DVA” adaptor they say you need for one test.

I would at least do the tests you can before replacing parts. I can’t find any of my parts faulty but I don’t have the adaptor. I did use a True RMS meter instead of the adaptor because I had one but I’m not sure it’s the same. I’ve read where many have replaced the power pack at dealers. I’m about to that point.

Let us know

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Go to CDI Electronics.com for trouble shooting procedures.

Steve G A

Recruit

hi Reno13

I had exactly the same symptoms to my 1990-OMC Seadrive 1.6l a week ago, after 10+ years of smooth running.
This engine is pretty much the same as your Evinrude 120hp.
I was out running at 4000rpm and it just cut out like ignition turned off, no sputtering at all.
After that i could only start it when cold, but it runs for a few minutes then cuts out. Now cannot even get it started.

Did you have any luck getting to the bottom of your problem?
Just new to this forum and saw your thread today.

reno1313

Recruit

hi Reno13

I had exactly the same symptoms to my 1990-OMC Seadrive 1.6l a week ago, after 10+ years of smooth running.
This engine is pretty much the same as your Evinrude 120hp.
I was out running at 4000rpm and it just cut out like ignition turned off, no sputtering at all.
After that i could only start it when cold, but it runs for a few minutes then cuts out. Now cannot even get it started.

Did you have any luck getting to the bottom of your problem?
Just new to this forum and saw your thread today.

Yes I did. I went thru the CDI Ignition Company troubleshooting guide and whereas it was not conclusive, it led me to take the gamble and replace the power pack or CDI ignition pack. I have only been able to use the boat 4 or 5 times since, but it has run well since then.

I had same problems with my 90 Seadrive 115hp (1.6L). I tried everything, even changing the powerpack. Finally took it to local Evinrude dealer to troubleshoot it. They found an erratic wiring short near the ignition key in the throttle assembly. Some insulation had rubbed of a wire and was shorting occasionnally. They replaced whatever part had the wiring harness on it. Its been 3 years now, no more problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.