Help please 40hp 1962 Johnson Electric Seahorse

Hi All I was given the above engine and as I am currently battling heart disease thought it would be a good project to keep my mind active.I have received plenty of help from a guy called Tom at Marine engine parts I have identified the electrical parts I need and will have to import them in to the Uk from the Usa.Due to the cost involved I want to make sure I order all the parts in one go however I have two fuel pipes that go nowhere so need to know if I am missing parts or there is a connector I am missing so looking at the photos can anyone tell me where the black pipe to the left goes and where the yellow pipe should go.I am guessing one goes from the fuel connector/fuel tank to the pump but cannot see where the yellowy coloured one goes if anyone has a photo of that side of the engine that would indeed help me.
My thanks in advance to all
Jon
Picture 006.jpgPicture 021.jpgPicture 021.jpg

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help please 40hp 1962 Johnson Electric Seahorse

It is hard to say as we cannot see where things are coming from, if you know what I mean.

Here is a parts manual that may help. I also posted the wiring diagrams both for the generator and non generator models.

1962 Johnson RDS-24 40 hp Outboard Motor Parts

Wiring1962-63JE40HPWithGenerator-1.jpgWiring1962-63JE40HPWithoutGeneratorverifiedfr.jpg

Thanks for the reply all the yellowish fuel pipe is coming from the back of the fuel pump I have attached another couple of images that if you zoom in will show what I mean.
My thanks again in advance

where do I go.jpghelp please.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner

A hose goes from the fuel connector (where you attach the tank hose) to the inlet side of the fuel pump. The other hose you are showing runs between the bypass cover to the domed side of the fuel pump. It is for the crankcase pressure pulses that drive the fuel pump.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

There seems to be a lot of similarities between your 1962 40 HP Johnson outboard and my 1976 version... I see so many parts used on both.

Willyclay

Captain

Welcome to the iboats.com forum! The members here are great and the experts like High Trim and F_R can help you solve any problems with that great old motor. You did not mention needing a service manual but I thought providing the link below may be helpful. Good luck!

Boatinfo - 1922-1964 Johnson Service Manual

EDIT: The link below will get you to a non-factory service manual that may be easier to use than the one above. FYI, this is the same manual I used to completely rebuild a 1959 Johnson 35HP motor that was seized when I got it and is almost identical to yours. It served me well for ten years.

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-topic...nline-service-info-not-just-boats-393281.html

LOGIN as directed then drill down to: Small Engines, Marine/Boat Motors, Evinrude/Johnson, Outboard 40HP (1956-1964) and, finally, Condensed Service Data.

Last edited:

Thanks for all the help everyone and the warm welcome I have recieved,however I have got to be 100 per cent certain that the engine is worth doing due to the costings practically everyone asked in the uk says no but i am stubborn lol
I have done a compression test with engine cold and have got 75 on each pot is that acceptable please?
I have sussed that I am missing the fuel tank connector and that is why I have a fuel pipe going to the carburretor with nothing on the end however I am still confused about this yellow coloured pipe and where it goes as it comes from the rear of the fuel pump you can see there is a screw hole as if something should be there or the pipe fits there however I can find no photos to cross reference the guy who gave it to me said he couldnt get a spark u can see why lol.
There is also a hole on the front of the engine near to where where the spark plugs are and this yellow pipe fits in to it perfectly but again I cannot find anything to cross reference with.
I am also confused as the engine has a Johnson hood but an evinrude plate on it saying 35028.
Again my thanks in advance all help is greatly received.

Picture 006.jpgPicture 006.jpgdoes it go here.jpgPicture 027.jpg

nwcove

Admiral

maybe my old eyes are failing me......but it looks like the fuel pump is missing.?

edit: eyes are bad!?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Yup, no fuel pump. That will be necessary to run! lol

Also missing the connector to plug the tank line into as stated.

There will be a line from the connector to the IN side of the pump, then from the OUT side of pump to the carb. The pulse line will be plumbed as Frank already mentioned.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Post a few more pics, maybe we can see what else is missing or wrong.

nwcove

Admiral

Yup, no fuel pump. That will be necessary to run! lol

Also missing the connector to plug the tank line into as stated.

There will be a line from the connector to the IN side of the pump, then from the OUT side of pump to the carb. The pulse line will be plumbed as Frank already mentioned.

lol......wasnt sure if it was my eyes , or my mind! seem to be loosing function in both!

Lol I thought the grey thing with the yellow pipe coming out the back was the fuel pump so what is the grey thing that the yellow pipe comes from please?
So what do you all reckon to where the yellow pipe should go as it seems to fit in the hole shown really well or does that go on the pump thats missing please see attached.
Also I carried out a pressure test again after being told to spray wd 40 down the bores incase the rings were sticky on the pistons and the compression is coming back as 100lb in each pot.
My thanks again in advance
Jon.
Picture 034.jpgPicture 049.jpgPicture 048.jpgshould something b here.jpgshould something b here.jpg

Last edited:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Ah there is the fuel pump. My mistake, did not see it originally.

There should be a barb on the bypass cover in pic 4 in the center big hole. Ill assume it is tapped already right? The line goes to that bypass cover to provide the pulse.

nwcove

Admiral

Ah there is the fuel pump. My mistake, did not see it originally.

There should be a barb on the bypass cover in pic 4 in the center big hole. Ill assume it is tapped already right? The line goes to that bypass cover to provide the pulse.

my mistake also....saw the bypass cover , but no pump in that location!! used to the smaller hp stuff lol

F_R

Supreme Mariner

One of your pictures shows the hose attached to the fuel pump as it should be. Another picture shows the other end of the hose right close to the port in the bypass cover where the missing hose barb is supposed to be screwed in. Install an new hose barb and attach the hose to it.

The hole in the cylinder head that you are determined to stick the hose is where the sender for the overheat light is supposed to be. That's missing too.

Thank you to all I will now go away and get a couple of quotes as the list of parts I need are growing
contacts x 2 = 14 dollars
condenser x 2 = 8 dollars
ignition coil x 2 = 36 dollars
coil boot x 1 = 3 dollars
ignition wire x 1 ft 3. dollars
fuel connector x 1 = 3 dollars so fifty English pounds so far plus whatever the other ?????? parts cost plus shipping
Sender for overheat light ?????
Hose barb ?????????????????
Impeller ???????????????????????????????
Again thanks for all the help it really is appreciated I guess once I have the full price of it all I can decide if to go ahead can I ask is 100lb on each pot acceptable on a compression test plse as obviously it was done from cold
My Thanks again Jon.

Willyclay

Captain

can I ask is 100lb on each pot acceptable on a compression test plse as obviously it was done from cold

Sounds super to me for a motor that obviously needs some love. FYI, these great old RD-series motors will not die easily, they have to be murdered. Good luck!

Willyclay

Captain

I am also confused as the engine has a Johnson hood but an evinrude plate on it saying 35028

The model number 35028 identifies it as a 1962 Evinrude 40HP. The really good news is the gearcase appears in your picture to be manual-shift instead of electric-shift. Regarding your parts shopping list, the cylinder head temperature sensor/switch appears to be NLA but you could possibly find one sitting on a shelf somewhere. This may not be a show-stopper since your efforts to make it run will be in a shop environment and temperature can be closely monitored by the tried & true handtest method or, if you prefer, an IR thermometer. Definitely put a new impeller in the water pump although for testing you could remove the lower unit and connect a water hose directly to the inlet water tube in the exhaust housing while you are working on the powerhead. The lower unit rebuild including the water pump and gearcase can occur after you are satisfied with the powerhead rebuild results. No need to spend money prematurely!

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Not sure what you’re allotting for this rebuild effort, but unless you have access to any other outboard and are willing to do some similar maintenance on it for the general stuff like plugs, condensers, points, maybe ignition coils as well and fuel pump, carb kit, water pump impellor, and associated gaskets, I think you will see it is not such a bad deal after all. New 40 HP outboards can cost $4,000 dollars easily. And older ones that should be running and okay will certainly cost more then what you will have in this fix-her-up engine I’m sure. Still it is your decision and only you know what you can afford and physically do to make this work... The knowledge you will learn about outboards is great though...

I had originally allowed approximately one hundred pounds(152 dollars) for parts plus the shipping costs but didnt bank on the extortionate shipping rates and taxes between countries lol.
I am a realist and appreciate that if I can get it running even as a spare engine it will represent good money spent as long as I find no hidden surprises when I start her up.
As said I was given her for the price of a few beers and I guess thats why because we have to import the parts and some of us English not me are above all that, indeed my back up engine is a 1965 British seagull and I know loads of people that would spend hundreds of pounds on them.I know I have a long way to go with her but hopefully she will present me with no nasty surprises if I take the plunge.Again my thanks to all that have helped so far it really is appreciated I just so wish I could get as much help over here instead of constant condemnation for daring to try
My thanks again
Jon.