Johnson ship master control box

Alanhar

Cadet
Can you help please I have a Johnson shipmaster outboard control box 2 leaver type can you mount the control box left or rignt side of the boat if I look inside of the box it looks like the cables can be feed into the box either end, does anybody know if this can be done so that I can mount the box on the port side or as a new-be to boating the left hand side of the boat, also what type cables do I need for this box my outboard is a Johnson 2 stroke 40 hp model RDSL 26s about 1968 I think hope someone can help me here please.

Last edited:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Johnson ship master control box

Yes, the cables can be reverse. If you do, then you must move the throttle stop bits, too...

Alanhar

Cadet

Can you help please I have a Johnson shipmaster outboard control box 2 leaver type can you mount the control box left or rignt side of the boat if I look inside of the box it looks like the cables can be feed into the box either end, does anybody know if this can be done so that I can mount the box on the port side or as a new-be to boating the left hand side of the boat, also what type cables do I need for this box my outboard is a Johnson 2 stroke 40 hp model RDSL 26s about 1968 I think hope someone can help me here please.

Thank you Admiral :)

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There were two very different Shipmaster controls back in that era. Both types can be mounted on either side of the boat. The older one has round ball knobs, "new & improved" one has shaped knobs. Cables for both are Type 400 (here at iboats), unless your control is much newer than the motor. 1979-up use Type 479.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I have seen and completely disassembled both types for refurbishing now. One system (from around the late 40's to early 50's that uses the ball type control lever knobs) uses a gear driven nylon piece inside (like a rack and pinion setup but without the pinion) to connect to the control cables while the other type (that uses the more contoured control lever knobs) uses a pivoting nylon piece to connect to the control cables. And yes either type can be used from either port or starboard sides (left or right). I also think both types of control cables are still available and come in different finished lengths with a little minor adjustment capabilities (plus or minus a few inch adjustments). So you have to measure your setup and purchase the needed length. Just remember to account for the different positions the outboard can move to get your correct length. The Ship Master (Johnson/Evinrude) Control Unit newer type has parts still available as well so every internal part can still be replaced. I haven’t located any of the parts for the earlier type Control Unit though, that is other than the actual control cables.

Here is a link to the newer type control setup and internal parts;

http://www.**********/parts/search/...ROLS/REMOTE CONTROL - SINGLE MOTOR/parts.html

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

If you can post a photo or two of your Shipmaster (inside too), we can better advise you on which cables you need. The good news is that both types are available right here at iboats.

Alanhar

Cadet

If you can post a photo or two of your Shipmaster (inside too), we can better advise you on which cables you need. The good news is that both types are available right here at iboats.

Thank you all for your quick response I now know allot more about the shipmaster control box and it all makes sense to me now. This is my first boat and outboard so I am a beginner and I am so glad that I found iboats it has given me confidence knowing that when I come across a problem I cant fix or don?t know about there will be all you good people to help thank you all once again. :joyous: