Carb adjustment? AND OTHER QUESTIONS 2003 Johnson 25 hp

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer
I just got a new to me 2003 Johnson 25 hp electric start tiller long shaft. Got it for 300.00 because the powerhead is stuck. I took the head off and the bores look good (still has crosshatch in cylinders.) I am going to try Engine release chemical on this powerhead and hopefully free it up. I was able to free a stuck nissan 8 hp with that stuff. I lowered the lower unit downon the Johnson25 enough to diesengage the driveshaft from the crank. I did this to make sure nothing in the lower unit was stuck (making for a bad diagnostic of a powerhead, didn't want to chase the wrong thing. The lower unit is not stuck, I will work on getting the powerhead unstuck.

Question, when I put it in gear and twist to full throttle (engine not running yet), The carb looks like it overxtends. What I mean is the carb plate goes to horizontal, then if I twist a little further on the tiller handle the carb plate opens more and starts going the opposite direction as the range from closed to horizontal. Anybody know what to look for to adjust this?

Question 2. The steering friction screw was stuck and when I went to loosen it the head of the screw popped off. Any ideas how to get the rest of that friction screw out of the tube? Of course it broke where the steering doesn't have enough tension and I think it might be dangerous due to prop torque

Last question for now, any ideas how to paint this motor? The previous owner told me that BRP had problems with paint flaking. The paint is cracking and flaking off leaving bare aluminum underneath.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 0

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Carb adjustment? AND OTHER QUESTIONS 2003 Johnson 25 hp

Thought of one more. Can anyone tell me if this motor was converted to a short shaft by looking at the picture? The information tag on the motor specifies it is a long shaft electric start but it seems to short to be a long shaft. I measured 17 inches from the transom bracket to the cavitation plate

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Got a model # ???

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer

Sure do, J25TELSTR I know that breaks down as long shaft but measurements show 17" to cavitation plate