83 johnson 75hp omc control slack

mcgyvermf

Cadet
Replaced cables with oem and also aftermarket plastic main cam and idler on inside. All looks well and is adjusted but still have the 3inches or so of travel before ingaging the carbs after putting in gear. Same slack, maybe not as much when putting in reverse. Is that normal or is there some other part that was missing before I rebuilt the box? Have scoured the dia. pic and can see nothing I missed. From wot fwd to wot rev is almost a full 180 degrees. Any suggestions?:confused:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 83 johnson 75hp omc control slack

Me thinks you better take another look at your control box if you just had it apart. JMO

mcgyvermf

Cadet

Thanks boobie, so your saying that there should be no slack (or travel) between engaging the gears and the carbs coming in? everything works great, gears change well, throttle works both ways, just don't feel like it should travel that much before engaging the carbs. It has been like that for the 2 1/2 years I have had it. Thought replacing the cables and the cam and the shift lever that are plastic would be the problem. Just don't know if that is normal for that control box or not.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

mine has what feels like slack, but it's not, the timing moves before the carb does, about half throttle it starts working the carbs