Johnson 80 Seahorse motor tilt pump sourcing replacement

gissel

Cadet
Hi all, thanks for a great site.

I've just bought a boat with a electromatic 80hp V4 Johnson which I have decided to clean up and rewire. The hydraulic tilt motor is gone and was barely working so I decided to take it off and want to replace the lines and the unit. The one in questions is attached as a picture. The date stamp is 09 68 or something so I assume it's a '68 model unit and another marking says 104183.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket unit suitable as replacement on ebay? It is a 3 wire and 3 pipe unit with pump/motor assembly.

Thanks,
Regards,
Craig.

Attachments

• 20130314_152304.jpg
    20130314_152304.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 0

hsdtech

Seaman
Re: Johnson 80 Seahorse motor tilt pump sourcing replacement

You can try ebay. If it were me I would see if they make a rebuild kit for it.

gissel

Cadet

I'm trying to find a diagram on the pump assembly

Willyclay

Captain

Welcome to the iboats.com forum! The members here are great and the experts, which I am not, can help you solve any problems with your boat, motor and trailer. I think a 80HP Johnson V-4 with electric shift gearcase was only offered in 1966 & 1967 and power tilt was not available until 1972 as an "Accessory Kit". See the link below. I purchased one and retrofitted it to my 1968 Johnson 100HP on the recommendation of a Johnson dealer. I believe that is what you have. While some parts are NLA, you might find what you need sitting on a dealer's shelf somewhere. Hopefully, other members will post in and provide some other suggestions. Good luck!

Power Tilt Kit - 85, 100 & 125 Hp Electrical 1972 Accessories for 1972 Johnson Evinrude Outboards

RRitt

Captain

that is a prestolite 3w trim motor as used on nearly every outboard made by nearly every manufacturer before 1981 and many up until 1987.

The small reservoir has been out of production by ARCO and others for almost a decade. The replacement motors will have a larger reservoir with solid mounting bracket. It is the same motor with different electrical connector for Evinrude, Johnson, Chrysler, Force, and Volvo AQ290.

Search Ebay for
(evinrude,Johnson,chrysler,force,volvo) trim motor

you should find one in the $100 range. if you are going within 100 miles of ocean, then the cheap motors will need special attention. Install a grounding strap to a bit of zinc anode. spray coat it with flex-seal - especially the top bolts, cable grommet, and reservoir to frame seam.

gissel

Cadet

Thanks guys. You're help is much appreciated. Just what I needed to know! :)