1989 Johnson 40 Hp Tiller Electric start.

rtsj

Recruit
When i fire up the motor and its cold it takes at least 1-3 minutes before water starts pumping. Is this normal or what? Does it have to reach a certain temp before the thermostat has to open or do i have impeller troubles? When it starts pumping it has a very good water flow.

Thanks Roy

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 Johnson 40 Hp Tiller Electric start.

Where are you running it at. On a flusher or in the water ?? When's the last time the water pump was serviced ??

hsdtech

Seaman

When i fire up the motor and its cold it takes at least 1-3 minutes before water starts pumping. Is this normal or what? Does it have to reach a certain temp before the thermostat has to open or do i have impeller troubles? When it starts pumping it has a very good water flow.

Thanks Roy

I have the same exact motor (evinrude). Run it in a tub of water instead of the muffs.

rtsj

Recruit

Where are you running it at. On a flusher or in the water ?? When's the last time the water pump was serviced ??

I've owned the motor for 4 yrs and have yet to service it and couldn't tell you when it was last done. I'm also running it with muffs.. Could that be the problem? Not enough water pressure? I have the water pump kit. Bought it last yr just incase i was on a trip and if i needed it i had it. Should i just change it for good measure?

Thanks Roy

fireman57

Captain

run it in a barrel like they said and it should start pumping within about 5-10 seconds. If it doesn't replace it. If it has been at least 4 years it is probably due anyway.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Four yrs ?? Replace the pump.

rtsj

Recruit

Ok I replaced the impeller and all seals, gaskets and gromits. The shaft spins freely. Put it all together and this time put it in a drum of water and still nothing!!!!!!! Is there something else it could be. The old impeller looked fine except for a little dry rot. Could it lose prime or something? Leaving for a 4 day walleye weekend and i need this fixed.

Thanks Roy

fireman57

Captain

make sure that your telltale is not just clogged from a wasp or something. If you are sure that it is not then pull the head cover and you will see the water passages. You will need to make sure they are not clogged by running a wire through them. If they are all clear then it might be in your exhaust side of your engine. You will have to take the side cover off and check all of them too. Sounds like a clogged water passage if you are sure that the hose going to your telltale and the hole in the telltale itself are clear.