2001 115hp Johnson outboard exhaust question

SC_Gator

Recruit
New member here, so appologies for any rookie mistakes.

I have a 2001 Sea Hunt with a 115hp Johnson on it. I had a incident 2 weeks ago (camping trip) where the motor got a little wet. But that is not my issue, since I am pretty sure I got it taken care of. But my questions is this - under what condtions should exhause be comign out the ports on the back of the engine rather through the prop?

After getting the motor all cleaned up and running again after the dunking, I ran it on ear muffs for about and hour to burn of any water. But I wasn't able to get it on the water for 2 weeks. Yesterday, I took it for a river test and everything seemed to be ok - pleanty of power, starts fine, idles good, etc. Except..... I sounds a little funny when idling and a very low speeds (like going through no wake zone). Looking at it closer, turns out that at idle and low speed the exhaust is coming out the upper ports and not the prop (but at higher speeds it goes through the prop just fine). So thus the question - under what conditions should the exhaust be going through the upper ports and when shoudl it be goign through the prop? BTW - the exhaust goes through the prop when on ear muffs .

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: 2001 115hp Johnson outboard exhaust question

Those upper ports are called "exhaust relief" ports and are to relieve pressure when the engine is idling or at low speed since there is back pressure on the prop exhaust, whether you have an excessive amount I could't say but if the engine is starting and running well I'd leave it alone. JMO

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2001 115hp Johnson outboard exhaust question

Agree + 1...........