dock line caught in prop & engine wont start

academic one

Recruit
End of season got dock line caught in prop & some smoke in cabin. After sail engine wouldn't start. Where to start trouble shooting? Flywheel turns manually w/o resistance. Wont have access to yard til 15th so need to be ready with ideas. Didn't try manually starting cuz had surgery. TIA for thoughts.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: dock line caught in prop & engine wont start

What engine and drive you working on? Year might help too.

Smoke in the cabin from a line in the prop ??????

southkogs

Staff member

LOL - I was thinking, "sails don't smoke!?!"

Welcome aboard academic one.

Don S

End of season got dock line caught in prop & some smoke in cabin. After sail engine wouldn't start. Where to start trouble shooting? Flywheel turns manually w/o resistance. Wont have access to yard til 15th so need to be ready with ideas. Didn't try manually starting cuz had surgery. TIA for thoughts.

Lots of things not making sense here, you posted in the IO forum so that would indicate you have a sterndrive of some kind.

You also say there is smoke in the cabin? Engines for sterndrives are not in the cabin.

After sail engine wouldn't start.

Sail? is this a sail boat? or was that supposed to be "Sale" ?

Flywheel turns manually w/o resistance

Beginning to sound like an outboard motor of some kind. You can't get to the flywheel on an IO.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

I'm thinking it's an OMC Saildrive. but I know nothing about them. Outboard powerhead.
zephyr.jpg

Don S

My Gawd!!!! They wouldn't put one of those in a cabin would they ???? :eek: :eek:

wrench 3

Commander

Wondering if the dock line stalled the engine and kicked it over backwards. Exhaust out of the flame arrester, hence smoke in cabin.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Profile? Location?
Make ,model,Year?
Pics?
It's be amazing if it was the old OMC sail drive.
I saw one of these once. It was in pieces on a guys garage floor,he wanted me to fix it?
He had no idea what it was(neither did I).

wrench 3

Commander

Your one up on me. I've heard of them but never seen one.
A second thought on my last post. If that's a two stroke, then forget about it being a problem if it kicked backwards. A two stroke is just as happy going in either direction.

academic one

Recruit

What engine and drive you working on? Year might help too.

Smoke in the cabin from a line in the prop ??????

OMC Zephyr sail drive. 1977 maybe the 15s10s or 15s10g. Was motoring out to lake Michigan from Chicago harbor and dock like was caught in prop. First indication was cabin was smoky since access to engine is through cabin. (Mirage 26). Dismissed because previous boat was Bristol 25 and outboard in lazzerette would always smoke till oil/gas ratio was adjusted. Upon heading in, engine wouldn't start so sailed into harbor. Couldn't attempt to manually start because I was recovering from surgery. Did move flywheel so it didn't seize up. Starter didn't engage so at this time, thinking thats where to start.

Don S

Moving this over to the Outboard forum, it's not an IO with a Ford or Chevy inboard engine and sterndrive, what you have is an outboard powerhead on a midsection and lower unit designed for sail boats.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

It's possible the flywheel key has sheered. Sudden prop stops can cause the flywheel's momentum to sheer the key...

nwcove

Admiral

I'm thinking it's an OMC Saildrive. but I know nothing about them. Outboard powerhead.
zephyr.jpg
ok..looked at that pic for ten mins......what the heck is that thing where the prop shoud be??

boobie

Supreme Mariner

It had a folding prop on it. When you were sailing the prop blades folded up. When you started it up, the prop blades would come out and act like a normal prop. Clever, huh ??

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

ok..looked at that pic for ten mins......what the heck is that thing where the prop shoud be??

It's a "streamlining" prop.

that way once you shut down and are under sail, the prop and drive produces minimum drag.

nwcove

Admiral

It's a "streamlining" prop.

that way once you shut down and are under sail, the prop and drive produces minimum drag.

geez...wish merc would put them on all their motors......would save me some fuel towing them back to the dock!! :laugh:

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Correct. It's a 2 blade prop that flips out when you add rpm.

OMC made a similar contraption with a conventional prop/gearcase called the L drive. If memory serves me it was installed in a few Bayliners.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I may be wrong, but I thought it was Chrysler that made the L drive as they were connected with "Trash Liner".

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

It's possible the flywheel key has sheered. Sudden prop stops can cause the flywheel's momentum to sheer the key...

Yup! That was my thought . Smoke in cabin! Where are the batteries?

robert graham

Admiral

geez...wish merc would put them on all their motors......would save me some fuel towing them back to the dock!! :laugh:
Now that's VERY funny!....May be some PO'd Merc guys on here, but that was great!:laugh: