johnson 60 hp fuel economy

oztrax

Recruit
Hi all,

wondering what fuel economy to expect from 3 cyl 1987 johnson 60 hp ?

driving a glass sundance mariner 15 foot.

Does vro when working help economy ?

regards
OZ

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: johnson 60 hp fuel economy

As with most outboards, the rule of thumb is 10% of the hp at wot. So that means 6 gal/hr. The vro doesn't help with the fuel economy. All it does is put oil in your fuel.

phillnjack2

Ensign
Re: johnson 60 hp fuel economy

The only possible difference vro can make to economy is in that it can use less oil.
(not realy noticable unless you use it everyday for year)
but if your running an old engine with the old vro, then youl learn that vro can make it very expensive as its odds on to fail..
i would straight away disconnect the vro and go premix,get rid of the oil tank and oil pipe from inside the boat as well.
the oil you save with vro is offset by the weight ofthe tank and pipe for it, plus most people keep the oil tank full,so economy
wise its probably cheaper to run pre-mix long term due to the extra weight of oil tank and pipes.

The wide open throttle economy of the 60hp should be under 6 gallons per hour,
many people say that every 10hp = 1 gallon of fuel per hour, its a bit of an average but its not normally too far out if the
boat is a heavy boat.
If the boat is very lightweight i reckon about 4 gallons per hour is pretty average.

thats what i found with mercury 60hp 3 cylinder, yet to see what the omc 60hp does on my boat.

phill