OMC Sea Drive lower unit removal

Patrizzo

Cadet
I have an '89 OMC Sea Drive V4 2.0L and I'm about to change the impeller. However I've got stuck on removing the lower unit. All 6 bolts are removed and I get the unit to drop almost an inch, but then it's stuck. I've searched the forum for answers but haven't found any so I'm pinning my hopes on a topic of my own. Any help appreciated.

Last edited:

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: OMC Sea Drive lower unit removal

Have you disconnected the shift linkage?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

There should be a screw underneath the lower carb on the port side that attaches to the upper part of the shift rod. Check it out.

Patrizzo

Cadet

There should be a screw underneath the lower carb on the port side that attaches to the upper part of the shift rod. Check it out.

Great, thank you for the advice. I'll check it out.

Patrizzo

Cadet

Unfortunatly I'm a complete rookie when it comes to engines and I'm not sure I've located the correct screw. Instead of taking a chance I took a picture and checking with you before doing anything stupid. Is the yellowish screw in the center the correct one?

image.jpg

Auxlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes it is! Raise the LU and put a bolt in and make sure you're in neutral before pulling the bolt out. When you remove the shift lever screw you can then pull the LU down and repair your impeller. When you go to reinstall the LU make sure you get the water tube lined up and make sure the shift rod is back in the block where the bolt goes before bolting the LU up.
Enjoy!!

Patrizzo

Cadet

Yes it is! Raise the LU and put a bolt in and make sure you're in neutral before pulling the bolt out. When you remove the shift lever screw you can then pull the LU down and repair your impeller. When you go to reinstall the LU make sure you get the water tube lined up and make sure the shift rod is back in the block where the bolt goes before bolting the LU up.
Enjoy!!
Great, thanks for the confirmation and advice. I'll try it out asap, preferably when it's frost free again. :)