Remote Control Cable Install for 50HP Evinrude

l911

Cadet
I bought 2 new cables for my 1973 Evinrude 50HP (1980 Remote Control box) I was absent minded and didnt mark which cable went where, whats the order from the control box to the engine?

I had a 50/50 shot, ive installed them, but it seems like the prop is turning to the right more than it should. When I push the control lever forward, the prop engages and turns to the left, is this right or do i have something backwards?

Also, the overheat alarm in the control box comes on when i turn the key to the "on" position. It did not do this before, is this normal, ive had 2 different dealers, tell me two different things. (One guy says its supposed to come on then go off when the engine starts, the other guys said it shouldnt come on at all.)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Remote Control Cable Install for 50HP Evinrude

I bought 2 new cables for my 1973 Evinrude 50HP (1980 Remote Control box) I was absent minded and didnt mark which cable went where, whats the order from the control box to the engine?

I had a 50/50 shot, ive installed them, but it seems like the prop is turning to the right more than it should. When I push the control lever forward, the prop engages and turns to the left, is this right or do i have something backwards?

Also, the overheat alarm in the control box comes on when i turn the key to the "on" position. It did not do this before, is this normal, ive had 2 different dealers, tell me two different things. (One guy says its supposed to come on then go off when the engine starts, the other guys said it shouldnt come on at all.)

Not sure what you are talking about. Is this a stick steering boat setup and is that what you are talking about with pushing the control forward and the boat is going to the left? Need more info as to what you are talking about and some pictures would work nicely also... If it is a stick steering setup, pushing the control steering stick forward should make the boat go to the right (if your stick steering control is on your left when seated in the boat). Pulling it back should make the boat steer to the left... More info needed...

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Remote Control Cable Install for 50HP Evinrude

It sounds like you got the cables reversed on the mtr. When you had the control box apart you may have grounded out the tan wire going to the mtr which will set off the hot horn.