1984 johnson 150 hp water intake screen replacement

f-106-j75

Cadet
Hi, my water intake screen is missing on my 1984 johnson 150 hp outboard, how do i install a new one, or should i not worry about it. Thanks

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1984 johnson 150 hp water intake screen replacement

Your water intake screen will keep lots of debris out of the pump. That includes lake weeds, sticks, etc. Probably not good to have any of that stuff migrate up into the powerhead. So, suggestion is to replace it. A cheap part, the labor is the big thing. You'll have to drop the lower unit and remove the water pump and it's baseplate to get down into the cavity where the new screen goes.

f-106-j75

Cadet

Thanks emdsapmgr, lower case is already off to change out impeller, will go purchase a screen tomarrow and install it, didn't think that would be a good thing not to have a screen in there, again, thanks

Your water intake screen will keep lots of debris out of the pump. That includes lake weeds, sticks, etc. Probably not good to have any of that stuff migrate up into the powerhead. So, suggestion is to replace it. A cheap part, the labor is the big thing. You'll have to drop the lower unit and remove the water pump and it's baseplate to get down into the cavity where the new screen goes.

f-106-j75

Cadet

Thanks Admiral, just joined this sight and love it, ya'll are great resoarces and alot cheaper than dealers, lol