Installing Emergency stop lanyard on older motor

Rick.

Captain
Re: Installing Emergency stop lanyard on older motor

Does it have a push button stop switch now? If yes the sea dog makes a Universal Lanyard Kill Switch that fit right into the hole. Best of luck. Rick.

kfa4303

Banned

Hi Ct. I use one of these on all of my vintage, magneto motors.

lanyard kill switch.jpg

They're only about $10 and install in about 5 minutes. You simply run a small wire from each set of points to the "M" terminal on the back of the switch. Once installed, you'll have BOTH push-button and lanyard kill functions. Best $10 you can spend on an old motor ;)

Ctboaterguy

Cadet

Awesome , thanks. Last yr I replaced the lanyard on my 8hp mariner the day before I hit a wake in my inflatable and was tossed out of boat. Rather funny now, but could have been oh so bad !

Ctboaterguy

Cadet

Ok now I'm new at this motor stuff. Do I have to connect directly to points , or can I connect to the 2 little wires Coming off mag. And correct me if I'm wrong but it's Not the SP wires.

kbait

Commander

Yep, those two wires coming out from under the magneto are the kill circuit. Connected together at kill switch shorts the pointsets together, cancelling spark and killing motor. Those are the wires to use for a lanyard type kill switch.
Good luck!