2001 150 hp Johnson outboard model J150PLSIF

kkg88key

Seaman Apprentice
I am looking at an 2001 - 18 foot Triton bass boat that has this motor on it. It has been garage kept and run very little. It has been checked out by the local Triton dealership and it runs good. COmpression is excellent. My question is this: Is this a reliable motor. I have read a lot about all the problems OMC had and the buyout by Bombardier and who made what and when. So I am confused and not feeling real warm and fuzzy about this motor. Any comments about it? Thanks so much from a first time boat buyer.

Blazinmonkey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2001 150 hp Johnson outboard model J150PLSIF

I thought the V6 of that era was the one to stay away from. But I am unsure...

kkg88key

Seaman Apprentice

I thought the V6 of that era was the one to stay away from. But I am unsure...

The dealer who has the boat told me the one to stay away from was the FICHT which is correct because I have researched it on the web and found that to be true. This motor is not the FICHT motor. It is a carburetor 6 cylinder.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I have the 1998 vanilla (J150EXECD) version of that motor. It is excellent. The "P" in the model number indicated some varient, but Sandy got my service manual, so I cannot tell you what it meant.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The dealer who has the boat told me the one to stay away from was the FICHT which is correct because I have researched it on the web and found that to be true. This motor is not the FICHT motor. It is a carburetor 6 cylinder.

This is what I've heard as well. Your carbed motor should be a good one.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I think there were a lot of manufactureing defects in those years...i know the 50 hp i had went through 3 gear cases... I heard they were weak, as well as the motors were put together fast and cheaply in those years..

but by now any issues should have manifested themselves....

bob

kkg88key

Seaman Apprentice

I think there were a lot of manufactureing defects in those years...i know the 50 hp i had went through 3 gear cases... I heard they were weak, as well as the motors were put together fast and cheaply in those years..

but by now any issues should have manifested themselves....

bob

That is true. Thanks.

kkg88key

Seaman Apprentice

I have the 1998 vanilla (J150EXECD) version of that motor. It is excellent. The "P" in the model number indicated some varient, but Sandy got my service manual, so I cannot tell you what it meant.

That is good to hear. From what I can tell the regular motors from that period use basically the same technology. Thanks.