1958 Evinrude Fastwin 18Hp - Kill Switch?

NoelFry

Recruit
I am in the process of rebuilding a 1958 Evinrude Fastwin 18Hp. I am replacing the coils, condensers, points, wires and plugs.

This engine does not have a kill switch - the owners manual says to use the choke to shut off the engine.

What would be the best way to wire a push-button kill switch into this thing? I figured that since I had the flywheel off and was replacing all the electrical componants that now would be a good time to do it.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Noel

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1958 Evinrude Fastwin 18Hp - Kill Switch?

Simply a matter of running a wire from each set of ignition points to the kill switch, push button, whatever you have in mind.

When the two wires are touching, the ignition is disabled.

When the two wires are not touching, the ignition is enabled.

bwkre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My 61 18hp has a factory kill button wired exactly as stated above. Any normally open push button would work, preferably something water resistant. I also paralleled the push button with a lanyard style kill switch for improved safety. Assuming you attach the other end to yourself! Use a good flexible wire so it can withstand the constant movement.

kfa4303

Banned

+1. I've added push button/lanyard kill switches to all my old magneto motors. It's a very simple job with only 2 wire, one from each set of points to the "M" terminal on the back of the switch. Here's a pic of the one I used, but there are many brands. Best $10 you can spend.

lanyard kill switch.jpg

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I can't resist this.... a short story about a good friend of mine (John Bailly), who has since traveled to that boatyard in the sky, who was a commercial fisherman, living in Port Elizebeth NJ.

For some unknown reason, he had installed a three cylinder engine on his flat bottom commercial fishing boat, hooked up all of the electrical, throttle and shift controls, BUT somehow neglected to secure the engine to the boat properly. I never did understand how he could do that as the engine actually bolts to the boat via four heavy duty bolts... and without them, that engine would slide all over the place sideways. However...............

One day John brought the engine to me, stating that it had went underwater, and while explaining what happened, it was all he could do to keep from cracking up about it. The engine was full of mud, sand, water... it wouldn't have surprised me if there was a couple kingfish and softshell crabs in there.

John told me that he was tending crab pots out in the Delaware Bay and had been for some time without encountering problems of any sort. Leaving one area, he swung out away from one area, heading for the next and at a good rate of speed swung the engine pretty sharply intto a turn. Suddenly the engine swung upwards, lifting itself up and off the transom, ripping the throttle and shift cables along with the electrical cable off the engine. The ignition being self contained, not depending on a battery to power it, allowed the engine to continue running... which it did. And being a fuel efficent three cylinder loop charged engine, it ran for quite some time!

John told me, between bouts of laughing, that it was the funniest thing he had ever seen. That engine jumped off the boat, ripping itself free of all controls, laid flat on it side in the water a short distance in back of the boat, still running and in gear.... just going round and round and round on top of the water until the three carburetors finally ran out of fuel like it was waiting for someone to rescue it.

Then as it slowly ran out of fuel and stopped, it dipped slowly underwater a little at a time, the hood filled with water, gurggled, then sank to the bottom of Delaware Bay. The way John told the story, a most likable fellow... you really had to be there.

Now.... if John had a kill switch installed on that engine, it would have simply jumped off the transom, stopped running, and sunk out of sight. What would have been funny about that? :)

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Joe you are a glass is half full type of guy arent you ! Funny story thanks.

Myself, I dont think I would have had that good a sense of humour about it. I like to think I would have, but Im sure a few expletives would have flowed from my lips first. :)

RSchendel

Seaman

There is an exact factory kill switch for a Evinrude 1958 Fastwin on eBay. Search for 330756943395. It even comes with the mounting bracket. No drilling required.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Reminds me of the time I launched our tiller 61 Fastwin off the back of the boat.
I was about 18, the clamps apparently were a little loose.Running full speed I
cut the throttle and turned the motor It pulled out of the transom and I can still picture the
gas line stretching and finally breaking.In about 8 ft of water it ended on its head a friend went down and tied a rope on.
The marina got it running pretty easily.Don't remember what it cost.

Rick.

Captain

+1. I've added push button/lanyard kill switches to all my old magneto motors. It's a very simple job with only 2 wire, one from each set of points to the "M" terminal on the back of the switch. Here's a pic of the one I used, but there are many brands. Best $10 you can spend.

View attachment 183503
X2 for this man over board kill switch, x 10 for the good story. Best of luck. Rick.