73 evinrude 6 h.p. fuel pump rebuild

merkdawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
going to rebuild the fuel pump. Is there anything I need to watch out for when doing this. I've rebuilt carbs before and a fuel pump on a weedeater. Just asking if this pump can be trickier than those? Thx

merkdawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 73 evinrude 6 h.p. fuel pump rebuild

took this motor in to have a rope guide and starter rope installed. Told guy to check motor make sure it was running ok. This motor ran in november. I always run the carbs out of gas. He said he couldn't keep the motor running. Bowl would fill up and then motor would run until the gas was gone. He wanted to get into the carb or fuel pump. And I said, no way! As he had already overcharged me on the starter rope install. Lol. Can a fuel pump just go bad like that? I took off the pump and was able to blow through both inlets. According to my response from raczek1 thats not good.Just curious. Thx

kbait

Commander

Quick pump test.. should be able to blow air through inlet, not suck air out. Suck air out outlet nipple, not blow air in. If that tests, should be good to go pump-wise. May still run out of fuel if you have a leaky fuel line connection from tank to carb, so be sure those are sealed properly.

Good luck!

merkdawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bought a fuel pump kit from carquest and installed the kit per the instructions that raczekp1 sent. Thx for those. While I was doing the rebuild, there are some springs that are held down by what looks like a star washer? well, it fell out pretty easy. Must have got jarred loose when I took motor in to shop. Anyway, put it all back together. Pump test worked. Haven't tried to start, waiting for a litttle warmer weather. also the clamps that hold my fuel lines on were loose,you could turn the lines freely. So I put on new clamps. Should be good to go. Thx guys for the help.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral

my 2 cents... for any other pump rebuilds...

1- work in a clean area...not in the shop where those little plastics mushrooms & springs will quickly learn how to fly and hide forever
2- Read the instructions leaflet 2-3 times and understand before starting reassembly of the pump
3- To stop the flying mushrooms which are allergic to fat fingers and short tempers here is my solution ...
a) dab the base of the springs with crazy glue & position onto their respective places
b) when the springs hold on (stay put) on their plastic mating surfaces apply crazy glue around the other end of the springs before positionning the plastic mushrooms.
c) make sure bases, springs and mushrooms stick together (do not overglue)
d) since you have read the instructions....and understand the process start layering (assemblying) the pump diaphragms and plastic body parts
e) bolt pump body parts (all layers) with 2 bolts
f) perform blow test (in to out = airflow) (out to in = NO AIRFLOW...NONE WHATSOEVER)
g) if step F fails.....read the instructions again and start over till you succeed at step f)
h) mount the pump with 2 more mounting bolts - test motor and go fishing with a pair of oars

merkdawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

actually I rebuilt the pump right here on my computer desk so I could look at the instructions. Seemed a little overwhelming at first, but after I got going, it was somewhat easy.

PericlesP

Recruit

Quick pump test.. should be able to blow air through inlet, not suck air out. Suck air out outlet nipple, not blow air in. .....

what about if not easily blowing air ie not completely air blow stop?

Also, my pump is on Evinrude 1993 6hp and the instructions on Rebuilding the OMC Fuel Pump does not include 1 additional spring. Is there a site I could find similar instructions for the 1993 fuel pump?

Thanks a lot